Any members of I Mech E here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
The institute of mechanical engineers is having a major internal punchup. It's not my institution so I'm following second hand and I just wondered if anyone here was directly involved?

There's nothing like a few allegations of financial malpractice, suspensions of senior officers, and votes of no confidence to pique the interest. A bit like the Labour Party (only mattering less) or CTC (only mattering more...)

Oh dear... Oops.

Used to be a member, but not for some time now.

colly

Re member eR
The institute of mechanical engineers is having a major internal punchup. It's not my institution so I'm following second hand and I just wondered if anyone here was directly involved?

There's nothing like a few allegations of financial malpractice, suspensions of senior officers, and votes of no confidence to pique the interest. A bit like the Labour Party (only mattering less) or CTC (only mattering more...)
I nearly was....................but I'm too thick it seems.:sad:

TVC

I had the chance but didn't. I was walking down Birdcage Walk where the head office was. A huge, very expensive building and two rotund, ruddy faced blokes, clearly sozzled after a good lunch lumbered up the steps and went inside. I decided not to give them my money. If they are acting like a boys club with dodgy dealings then I'm not surprised.

Drago

Legendary Member
Much the same happened with the RSGB a couple of years back. Missing funds, stolen Werthers Originals, and a faint smell of wee wee and cabbage...all hastily swept under the carpet as if no-one had ever heard the words "funds" and "misappropriation".

OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Guru
The I Mech E had a special general meeting last week. (It was held in the institution of civil engineering next door which may or may not be symbolic.) The members who called it put down a motion of lack of confidence in the trustees. The trustees put down their own motion of confidence.

Both motions passed.

Make of that what you will :smile:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Equal and opposite reaction, innit.
That’s the Institute of Physics you want.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The local branch of IMechE used to put on some good local events about here. I am not a mechanical engineer, so I could not join them. Instead I joined the IET, who are also very good. I get letters every year asking me to vote for members to join the board. They all seem very well qualified in their different ways. None of them say they're embezzlers. I don't know any of them personally, so when I vote it's a bit random.

I noticed IMechE had some posters at the recent real ale festival. I wondered what that was about.

I am not sure there is any great point joining these institutions. They cut no ice with employers. However, the E&T magzine is quite good and some of the lectures are interesting.

Top Bottom