Any Mesh Wifi experts on the forum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its an old thread but I offer my two penny worth to anyone with the same question after using a setup since early summer 2019. I wanted Wi-Fi to reach into my garden, the modem/router in my house does not travel far outside.
I bought a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Mesh for €88 and mounted it on a 1.5M tall pole in my garden. It is connected by 30M of outdoor CAT5 LAN to the modem/router. The only reason for such a long run of cable is to put the access point past a barn near the house, the walls are over a metre thick and Wi-Fi will not penetrate them. The range is claimed as 600 feet/182M which is a little conservative as I get good reception at the far end of the garden about 200M from the access point.
Access points need power, this one uses PoE (power over ethernet) which means the unit gets its power via an injector (a power supply) on the router end of the ethernet cable. For people with more modestly sized gardens and a den/shed/office/favourite deck chair that needs Wi-Fi, just going through the nearest wall or window frame and mounting the access point on the outside wall facing the garden would give maximum signal in all but huge gardens.
You may control access and power settings via controller software installed on computer or phone but it is basically plug and play if you don't need advanced settings. I am well pleased with it and there is proper support available for Ubiquiti products.
I am a natural cheapskate and when I first looked for a solution I found a pretty cheap but powerful unit on Aliexpress and Banggood, a Wavlink AC600, its cheap at £/€30, at your own risk with that one, the feedback from customers is not good.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I upgraded our BT Infinity to their Mesh system - absolute doddle. Plug in to mains, run the app, and it connects up the additional mesh dishes - no need for cables in-between, just on at other side of house from router, and another in the garage gives full coverage.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep big fan of Mesh wifi here as well, solved an issue I had with the Virgin Media hub and poor wifi signal. I bought the TP link Deco units out of currys. I did have vouchers to spend so saved about £100. Easy to setup and they just work. Good Wifi signal now in the garden which I could never get.

Top Bottom