Any metal detectorists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Wife wants a metal detector.
The following is what I know about them:

1)

So, any recommendations? Amazon do a beginners kit for about 70 quid, is that sort of thing likely to be any good?
I suspect that it probably won't get a great deal of use so no point buying anything too fancy. Also no idea where she'll use it but probably beaches to start with?
Probably also no point getting something that will detect objects too deep down as I doubt she'll want to dig for Hours.
CC, help!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Buy off ebay. Do your homework on any that come up. Absolute classic ebay gear: short-lived enthusiasm = barely-used gear at a penny in the pound.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It'a actually a word! I thought I'd made it up, but apparently not!

Thanks for that Sweetpea, absolutely brilliant thinking. Sadly, it seems that these things are actually pretty sought after and the couple on ebay are accompanied by several bids so the price will sky rocket near auction end.
No idea what the appeal is, it looks worse than golf to me. Wandering around aimlessly looking for things but without the benefit of being able to vent your frustration by walloping something with a bat now and again.
Still, each to their own!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The trouble is that they limit you to metal objects, so just buy her a spade and she can find old bits of plastic and broken willow-pattern saucers.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Ordered one now from the bay of the flea. Comes complete with folding shovel thing, headphones, the detector waving thingy and some headphones.
Hopefully it will do the job, I can see vast benefits of beachcombing with it actually, just in picking up lost fishing tackle :biggrin:

AndyRM

XOXO
I've just been watching the Mackenzi Crook TV program Detectorists. Painfully funny to watch

Absolutely brilliant programme. Watch it for some tips on how to embrace your new hobby @Panter!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks Andy, I'd never even heard of it before but it seems to get rave reviews so will keep an eye out for it.
Just to make it absolutely clear, this isn't my new hobby, although the realisation has suddenly sunk in that I will be dragged along for digging duty to unearth the rusty bolts and old beer can "treasure" on various damp, cold, windswept beaches and fields.

Really didn't think this thing through too well, did I...

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks Andy, I'd never even heard of it before but it seems to get rave reviews so will keep an eye out for it.
Just to make it absolutely clear, this isn't my new hobby, although the realisation has suddenly sunk in that I will be dragged along for digging duty to unearth the rusty bolts and old beer can "treasure" on various damp, cold, windswept beaches and fields.

Really didn't think this thing through too well, did I...

Apologies, I didn't read your OP carefully - I got all excited when I saw the word 'Detectorists'. The show was on a while ago but you might be able to catch it on iPlayer? Toby Jones is excellent in it too. I believe there's a new series due this year at some point.

Happy traipsing!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Apologies, I didn't read your OP carefully - I got all excited when I saw the word 'Detectorists'. The show was on a while ago but you might be able to catch it on iPlayer? Toby Jones is excellent in it too. I believe there's a new series due this year at some point.

Happy traipsing!

Superb, thanks for that. We have various catch-up options and netflix type thingies so may well be able to get that. Decent viewing on the gogglebox is a rare thing these days so hopefully will enjoy it!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Garrett Euroace is one of the best budget ones and that will pick up small objects in the top 25cm or so of soil, with larger objects a bit further down. After that there is a substantial price hike to get an increase in performance but if you want to detect at depth it will cost.The ones used by some of the team on the archaeology group that I am a member of cost well over £1,000 and you can spend a lot more.

Not worth going cheaper unless you've lost some jewellery and know it's lying on the ground surface somewhere or you want to spend your day digging nails out of fields because the meter can't discriminate iron from anything else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Good stuff, thanks for that. It did seem that the more expensive models allow detection at greater depths so the cheapie one I've ordered should be perfect.
I think that her enthusiasm would wane even quicker if she was excavating vast holes for the beer cans.

Alex H

Legendary Member
If your wife ever needs some foreign practice, she is welcome to try our garden :smile:

We have so far pulled out 800kg of scrap, including cartwheels tyres (large and small), barrel hoops, tractor parts, plastic bags, a ball of string that needed 2 black sacks to hold it, shutter hinges (at least 20 - the house only has 4 shutters) fencing (yes in the ground - not above it) barbed wire, tools broken and not, phials for animal drugs, bottles, kilner jars, a few bits of pottery, the list is endless.

Every time I use the rotovator I can guarantee it will be stopped by another piece of scrap or roof tile
icon_sad.gif

Still we have so far made 232€ by selling the scrap
icon_biggrin.gif

Attachments

• icon_sad.gif
    icon_sad.gif
    171 bytes · Views: 15
  • icon_biggrin.gif
    icon_biggrin.gif
    172 bytes · Views: 36
Top Bottom