Any metallurgists out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coke. If aluminium then phosphoric acid will etch it nicely but may have a protective film on.....

tamiya

If you want to make shiny aluminium into a clottered texture, sodium hydroxide (drain cleaner) or EazyOff caustic oven cleaner should do it pretty quick smart.

Or a quick buff with a scotchbrite scourer pad would do same. Green or grey would be quickest grades.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Well, it's not magnetic. I guessed that it probably isn't stainless on the grounds of cost, but then again I've bought stainless bits and bobs from China that were ludicrously inexpensive, so it still could be. I think I'll mix up some sodium hydroxide and stick a drop of it on an inside corner. If it starts fizzing, I guess it must be aluminium. BTW, it feels too heavy to be aluminium but I may be wrong.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Stick a picture of Theresa May on one side and Jeremy Corbyn on the other.
I think Jeremy already has designs on my wallet.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The NaOH had no effect on the metal. Steel weighs three times as much as aluminium so I calculated what the case should weigh if it was made of each. The actual weight of the wallet matched steel, so it looks like it's probably 316 stainless which is pretty impervious to strong acids and alkalis. It looks like abrasion is the only way to get rid of the mirror finish.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Actually, after only three days in my jeans' pocket, the various coins, keys and random hardware are scuffing it up quite nicely. Apart from my ugly mug, I really want the mirror finish to get fubared because it shows every single trace of finger grease.

Anyway, I'm very grateful for all your suggestions. Please add to them if you wish.

Top Bottom