Any mp3 player users?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone use an mp3 player these days?

We're looking at getting one for what we think is good reasons but I get the distinct impression that most companies think they're almost finished because of the smartphone.

What's your view?

D

Deleted member 1258

I got rid of mine last year, I got offered 50p by Cash Converters so it went to the local charity shop. I don't need music on the move very often these day but when I do I can use the phone.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
In our case it's for a child who's too young for phones. Even without a sim card he could get onto Internet or YouTube through WiFi. They're small, longer battery life, simple to use, not a phone that you might need for, say phone use! Plus they can often be used with better quality lossless music formats.

I'm thinking of one for our son, but I might just get one too. If anyone still uses them, why? If not why not? If you do which one have you got / would you recommend?

I'm thinking of a £30-60 punt on one.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I got rid of mine last year, I got offered 50p by Cash Converters so it went to the local charity shop. I don't need music on the move very often these day but when I do I can use the phone.
My view is I don't use the phone. I used to use an mp3 player a lot but got a decent phone and thought it's not needed. However I found that I'm more protective of my phone than I was of my mp3 player. I simply don't use it on those occasions I used to use my mp3 player.

For me I listen to music, podcasts and might even start listening to audio books. Although part of me is thinking what do you do when listening to audio books. Imho books take concentration and more of your resources than music or podcast. So not great for doing other things too. Off topic though.

Imho a £30-40 mp3 player isn't as valuable needing protection as a £200+ phone that's got a big chunk of your modern life on it.

I find without a player I'm not listening to music so much, with one I did. I think I'd like to listen to stuff more but not with a phone as that doesn't happen.

Or it's new gadget fever!

D

Deleted member 1258

My view is I don't use the phone. I used to use an mp3 player a lot but got a decent phone and thought it's not needed. However I found that I'm more protective of my phone than I was of my mp3 player. I simply don't use it on those occasions I used to use my mp3 player.

For me I listen to music, podcasts and might even start listening to audio books. Although part of me is thinking what do you do when listening to audio books. Imho books take concentration and more of your resources than music or podcast. So not great for doing other things too. Off topic though.

Imho a £30-40 mp3 player isn't as valuable needing protection as a £200+ phone that's got a big chunk of your modern life on it.

I find without a player I'm not listening to music so much, with one I did. I think I'd like to listen to stuff more but not with a phone as that doesn't happen.

Or it's new gadget fever!

I don't own a 200 quid phone, and there's nothing on my phone, I use it for phone calls, messages and occasional web browsing. When I used a MP3 player it usually was when travelling, coach travel etc, in the house I usually use my desktop or tablet with either blue tooth headphones or speaker.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I still occasionally use a old iPod classic I bought off eBay, it’s still got the old mini hard drive which is still working but I’ve got a SD card conversion waiting to go in if it fails. I like the functionality of it. You can buy them at any sort of price but don’t pay more than £100.

What's your view?
It's a good idea!

Look at the Sandisk Clips. They came in a number of variants, but I think any of the ones here will do you: https://www.westerndigital.com/en-gb/c/mp3-players

[I used a Sandisk for yeeeeeears before I got a Smartphone. Then my Sandisk broke, so I've tried using my android phone .... I'm nearly a year into the experiment, and I miss my Sandisk :sad: The only tangible advantage of the phone is that it removes one "hop" from the download process. EDIT: oh, and BBC Sounds - which mostly works very well, but doesn't do mp3 downloads. ]

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I use an iPod classic, not mp3 but old school stand alone music player. Recently got myself a Bluetooth transmitter and speaker. Plug transmitter into iPod 3.5mm jack and sorted for tunes on the bike. The iPod has a 36 hour battery life when playing music. Perfect.

ChangFai

I use a Benjie X1 mp3 player [8GB + 64GB sd card] when out and about, as I don't have a smart phone.

While cycling, I prefer the radio in one ear, and I have a Majority DAB/FM which I think is excellent.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I used to have a 2GB one, it was tiny, think it was about £42 IIRC. Did the job, but wasn't very easy to navigate between tracks becasue there was only an LCD screen that displayed about 15 characters.

If I were to buy one now, I'd go for something like this £30 Amazon link
64gb, nice looking screen, has bluetooth and of course a headphone jack. Takes a micro SD card so (check the specs) should be able to support a decent sized card if you run out of space. You can also transfer files through bluetooth. Compared to what was on offer a few years ago for £100, this is cheap as chips.

I stream everything from my phone but I do have a fair few albums downloaded in case I'm caught out with the signal, which is almost never

I still use an iPod nano for gym classes.
I used to use my phone but it started misbehaving on playlists for some reason.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I use my iPod classic every day and night. One of my favourite ever gadgets. I think it's the 120 gig version - but I have a brand new 160 gig version just waiting in the wings for when the original fails. Absolutely love it. Hundreds of albums on there. Never even considered using my phone for music. I still load new CDs onto the iPod when I buy new music. Easy to load, easy to use, good sound quality, and my particular copy has the best albums on there of anyone's iPod ever...

Top Bottom