Any newbies from St Helens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Ive already said hi but wondered if their are any other newbies from st helens merseyside?

i like riding alone but wouldnt mind a duel ride sometime, especailly the longer rides i hope to do. i fancy a round trip to southport prob circa 50 mile or so, mor eif varied the route

David_widnes

Veteran
Hello David,

Im also new on here and i live not far from St Helens in the Farnworth area of Widnes.

I do the Southport Circular ride a couple of times a month usually early on Saturday morning and i can highly recommend it to you.

I set off from Widnes passing through Bold Heath, St.Helens town centre and up to the East Lancs road once across it i ride along the cycle lane along side the Rainford bypass until it ends i then ride along the lanes passing through Ormskirk and eventually end up in Southport Town Centre.

After a drink and a snack i head home along the Trans Pennine trail for the first few miles but when it crosses the Formby bypass i pick up the cycle lane along side the Formby bypass i take a detour through the quiet country lanes through Crosby passing the ironmen statues in the water on Crosby seafront and follow the roads to the Liver Building and Albert Dock there is a lovely cycle path from the Albert Dock right the way through to Garston where i follow the Roads past Liverpool Airport and through Hale Village where i rejoin the Trans Pennine Trail back to Widnes.

The round trip is exactly 70 miles but its all flat riding no hills to speak of and i find it easy now ive completed it a number of times.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Hello David,

Im also new on here and i live not far from St Helens in the Farnworth area of Widnes.

I do the Southport Circular ride a couple of times a month usually early on Saturday morning and i can highly recommend it to you.

I set off from Widnes passing through Bold Heath, St.Helens town centre and up to the East Lancs road once across it i ride along the cycle lane along side the Rainford bypass until it ends i then ride along the lanes passing through Ormskirk and eventually end up in Southport Town Centre.

After a drink and a snack i head home along the Trans Pennine trail for the first few miles but when it crosses the Formby bypass i pick up the cycle lane along side the Formby bypass i take a detour through the quiet country lanes through Crosby passing the ironmen statues in the water on Crosby seafront and follow the roads to the Liver Building and Albert Dock there is a lovely cycle path from the Albert Dock right the way through to Garston where i follow the Roads past Liverpool Airport and through Hale Village where i rejoin the Trans Pennine Trail back to Widnes.

The round trip is exactly 70 miles but its all flat riding no hills to speak of and i find it easy now ive completed it a number of times.

thats pretty much the ride i want to complete or work to this summer. the most ive done yet is the rainford by pass and back, 19.06 miles. i want to cycle southport then the trail back, it passes my in laws at gateacre, ill stop there if ive had enough!
would you be up for it later in the summer? you may have to taylor your speed for me!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
coming from windle island how far can you cycle down the lancs? is there a track passed haydock island?

I only ride from Astley Green to the Greyhound Roundabout before going "inland" and there is a track on that bit.I have seen cyclists further up when i am driving to the M6 so i guess it is pretty much all the way even if it is full of kack !

E11a

I'm in Southport and am happy to meet up for part of the circuit as long as you're not too fast! There are a couple of nice routes to Formby, either through the woods or down Southport Old Road to the bypass, on the way to Crosby.

Shrim

Hi David,

I'm from St. Helens too (Haydock) and do the Southport loop quite regularly. Its a nice ride but I try and avoid the east lancs as I find the cycle path is not that good from Haydock to Windle Island. There is a good part close to Moss Bank but it only lasts for half a mile, the rest is quite narrow and bumpy with the usual debris. If I don't use the east lancs I go through Garswood, Billinge then over Ashurst Beacon then to Burscough and cycle to Southport through Halsall, its a lovely ride and there is less traffic this way.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
thanks for the reply guys. dont worry E11a, im aint fast by any stretch! 12/13mph on average

im looking to do the southport run by end summer, prob august, its a target of mine. when im ready ill post here and if any of you fancy a group ride itl be even better

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
ok, felt a bit off after last ride. going out in the morn, see how i feel
ill do southport before summers end, well thats my target anyway

iainw

Iain
Bit late to this party but I'm from St Helens, don't have anyone to ride with at the moment- fairly new to this road game but I'm out quite a lot on the Rainford/Orrell/liverpool circuit.. if anyone fancys a spin over the next few months give me a shout!!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Bit late to this party but I'm from St Helens, don't have anyone to ride with at the moment- fairly new to this road game but I'm out quite a lot on the Rainford/Orrell/liverpool circuit.. if anyone fancys a spin over the next few months give me a shout!!
hi iain, only just seen this, so theres 2 of us

Have any of you oh chaps managed to meet up for a ride or two? If I'm not too late to the group I would like to join you one weekend. I live in Haydock so not a million miles from any of you.
@David_widnes. Did you stop and lend me your pump near the m62 junction about two weeks ago?

Top Bottom