Any of you fancied a 1930's car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I completely get it... not 30s in my case but I've always fancied a Jowett Javelin circa 1950. I had a chance to buy a minty one a few years ago for 5k and I regret not pulling the trigger.
Screenshot_20210108-132148_Google.jpg

Chris S

Legendary Member
Pre-war Austins had sidevalve engines so you can run them on unleaded petrol. That makes them a lot more practical than their post-war successors.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I wonder how much it'd cost someone like me to insure it? I'm thinking insurance for it would be a lot less if it was garaged. You don't tend to see those type of cars parked up on public roads,streets overnight.
Hard to say. Classic car insurance is usually cheaper but then most classics are used infrequently, looked after and kept off road or better still, garaged. You might find that it would be difficult to get insurance at all if you don't have anywhere private to store it.

On a lighter note, I've been hunting through my old photos and here's a snapshot of mine:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
There's some great episodes on Car SOS, restoring vintage cars. Well worth watching and makes you understand why people like them. It's all good really, only car show I can be bothered with. Nothing newer than than the 90's, which is when cars started to get a really dull, just in my very own humble opinion.

Not sure I'd want one as a daily but a prewar Austin 10 Cambridge would be lovely for a fun car.
My Dad had one in the 50's and they bring back fond memories of him. He died at 48 and I still miss him after all these years.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not sure I'd want one as a daily but a prewar Austin 10 Cambridge would be lovely for a fun car.
My Dad had one in the 50's and they bring back fond memories of him. He died at 48 and I still miss him after all these years.
A car I'd like to track down if it still exists is my Grandfather's Austin 10 Greyhound. It was a pre-production prototype and (I'm told) one of only ten made before the production version with different styling came out.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I like this.
View attachment 567833

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-1...173571?hash=item3439cf1b03:g:pwsAAOSwzkFf8LYc

Just over 4 grand could buy you a 10 year old boring,probably grey in colour,mundane car,or this!

Though would you be buying work,or buying a form of escapism? 🧐

My first car (1965) was a Ford Anglia 100E of 1953 vintage.

As a 17 year old, I loved it, spent every weekend under it.

Now, at 73, I much prefer my boring 2016 Renault Captur, nostalgia is fine, but, I took off the Rose coloured spectacles long ago. All IMHO, of course. ;)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My first car (1965) was a Ford Anglia 100E of 1953 vintage.

As a 17 year old, I loved it, spent every weekend under it.

Now, at 73, I much prefer my boring 2016 Renault Captur, nostalgia is fine, but, I took off the Rose coloured spectacles long ago. All IMHO, of course. ;)

Give me a horse and cart over a Renault Captur any day of the week :laugh:

Sharky

Guru
My dad's first car was a 1939 Morris 10. He was so pleased with it. He got it in 1956 just in time for petrol rationing! But it was a bit of a liability. A 20 mile run to Southport was a major drive and we had to keep our fingers crossed and hoped we would get back.
Found a photo of the old car on Ainsdale beach..

Don't know who those kids are, but the two on the right are my younger bro and sis.

A friends dad had a pre war Morris van as his daily transport. It enabled him to take the family of wife and 4 kids away for camping holidays.
On really big hills he'd reverse up them as the reverse gear was lower, and 1st was too much for the old thing.
A film company wanted to use it for scene but he wouldn't let them use it. I remember it as looking tired and old. This was in the late 60's.

This chap was a clever self taught engineer and although offered better jobs he worked as a deburrer for a local engineers.

He liked the fact he could pop home for lunch and while working he could think of various things he'd make, mostly model aircraft

RichardB

Slightly retro
Personally if you were serious I'd spend a couple of thousand more to get one that's currently road-worthy as it'll probably cost you more to get that one sorted:

Best advice I've seen. Get a vintage/classic car if you want a project and don't mind spending every spare moment on cleaning, welding, sourcing parts etc rather then driving it. But it will end up costing you way more than spending a bit extra and getting one that is ready to go. This is from experience with cars and motorbikes - I never learn.

It's quite possibly to run a classic car as a daily driver, but it can be a costly and/or time-consuming business, and not exactly worry-free.

I like older machinery because I like stuff I can understand and fix (which is why I like bicycles), but I have given up chasing rainbows. My 4-year-old boring Eurobox is economical, reliable, safe, quick, secure, dry inside and doesn't smell - and I love it.

For a few happy years, I had a 30 year old Land Rover as a second car. It would just about keep up with traffic, and spares were pretty easy to come by. Light bulbs the like from Halfords or a local car spares place, more unusual things like a water pump and some hoses from a mail order place.
I would imagine that finding spares for an older car, especially with 6 volt electrics, might be a bit more challenging. I bet it's fun though, to own a real old car.....

RichardB

Slightly retro
For a few happy years, I had a 30 year old Land Rover as a second car. It would just about keep up with traffic, and spares were pretty easy to come by. Light bulbs the like from Halfords or a local car spares place, more unusual things like a water pump and some hoses from a mail order place.
I would imagine that finding spares for an older car, especially with 6 volt electrics, might be a bit more challenging. I bet it's fun though, to own a real old car.....

Land Rovers are great, and I have spent many years with first a n/a Ninety, then a 2a and then a 90 as my only car. I love 'em. But, how shall I say this, you need to be a fan and prepared to be involved. Casual ownership isn't really an option. :whistle:

Top Bottom