Any of you fancied a 1930's car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder how much it'd cost someone like me to insure it? I'm thinking insurance for it would be a lot less if it was garaged. You don't tend to see those type of cars parked up on public roads,streets overnight.
My Missus ran a '61 Wolsley 1500 as a daily for about 6yrs, insurance was around £100 as it's on a Classic basis.

There's no 'no claims' scheme usually but that also means if you have another car, which most people do, your no claims stays with that.

I think something that old is pushing it a bit as anything more than a 'Sunday best' car as the Wolsley would barely keep up on A roads and no way would she venture on the Motorway.

Garage it to keep the rot at bay anyway and keep a supply of consumables 'cos you ain't nipping up Halfords for a wheel cylinder or some brake shoes!

RichardB

Slightly retro
Two things that often (not always) come with classic insurance - one is a severely limited mileage allowance (like 1000 a year), which may not be a problem. The other is that they will only cover SD&P use, and specifically not commuting to work. If you want to run a classic car as a daily, either of these could put a spanner in the works. If you go for classic insurance, be sure to check the T&Cs carefully.

Okay, it's a 5 year old photograph, but I used to see this around Castleford

The indicators. erm................. indicate............ that it's probably a daily driver?

'38 - '48 model

AA 91349_10206872537364248_130616590402833175_o.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I would love one, especially a Riley, an MG T-Type or a Traction Avant or even one of the really basic things like an Austin 7 or Ford Y but only as a weekend tow. For everyday use you'd need a more modern classic IMO.

I've always loved classic cars and have always favoured older cars with character and a 25 year old Peugeot 205 remains my everyday car (except I don't use it everyday as I drive very little nowadays. Up until 2016 it was putting up 200 or 300 miles a week as I had a long commute then). I love my 205 and would happily keep using it indefinitely but I will probably take it off the road this year for some refurbishment. I'd prefer to keep it as a rolling restoration but the insurance companies here make it so difficult to drive an older car. It costs a lot of money just to insure it and no other insurance company will even give me a quotation as it's over 20 year old and apparently high risk (why do I have to pay to have it tested every year in that case?). In Ireland you can't have classic car insurance unless you have a modern car insured as well.

I also have a 1991 VW Caddy (the MKI Golf based model) which I want to restore when I get around to it.

I would really love to have a Citroen 2CV or a Renault 4TL.:becool:

RichardB

Slightly retro
I would really love to have a Citroen 2CV or a Renault 4TL.:becool:

A 2CV or Dyane is the only car I would now realistically have as a classic. I had a 2CV back in the day and took it round Europe, and if I came across a good one tomorrow (and I could afford it) I'd have it like a shot. It was my daily driver for a few years in East Yorkshire, where the winters can be severe, and it never once failed to get me to work. Romping up a hill past lorries and 4x4s stuck in the snow, to blasting at 62 mph down the Autostrada del Sole with the roof back - it was a versatile and practical motor. Not 100% reliable, but most things you could tackle with a nail file and a couple of hair grips. I had a Dyane later which was just as capable but less quirky.

I also fancied a Renault 4TL back in the day, but even then you could watch them rust away before your eyes.

Top Bottom