Any one design a cutting tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Spent hours today cutting out a sized in alloy seat post from a bike with a hacksaw blade, know there are drills etc but wonder why no one has designed a large hacksaw blade holder thats spring loaded at the back of the blade to apply pressure to the cutting edge and small enough to go into a sized post?.

If bikes were maintained properly then the tool wouldn't be needed.

screenman

Legendary Member
Spent hours today cutting out a sized in alloy seat post from a bike with a hacksaw blade, know there are drills etc but wonder why no one has designed a large hacksaw blade holder thats spring loaded at the back of the blade to apply pressure to the cutting edge and small enough to go into a sized post?.

I like your idea, but it would not a be a big seller so would make very little money. A tool made for the job is an adjustable king pin broach. broach

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Yes thinking of some thing like that but with a spring to hold the pressure to the cutting edge with perhaps a semi round guide at the back to try and keep it in place?
As screenman says it would not a be a big seller so would make very little money, know after all the work i done yesterday for a cycling friend i will start and check all my own bikes a bit more often even the bikes that are not used much.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes thinking of some thing like that but with a spring to hold the pressure to the cutting edge with perhaps a semi round guide at the back to try and keep it in place?
As screenman says it would not a be a big seller so would make very little money, know after all the work i done yesterday for a cycling friend i will start and check all my own bikes a bit more often even the bikes that are not used much.
What you do is insert the blade with the teeth facing the handle so it cuts on the pull stroke.

Big John

Guru
Never had to cut one out but did spend days pouring lube on the seat post in the hope that it would seep in between the seat tube and the post. Finally used a pipe wrench and brute force and ignorance to get it out. Whenever I put a seat post in these days I use copper slip - something I picked up off here. I've never got one stuck since. I do find the advice on here seriously useful.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Having had to do it once, I know what a tedious job it can be. Would a reciprocating saw with the appropriate blade work OK?

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't do the cutting on the push stroke. Reverse the blade, cutting on the draw stroke.

Simple enough then to fashion a handle that holds the blade. Or for a one-off job, a cloth to protect your hand.

protey corrected to protect in edit

Last edited:
A jig inside the tube would help.
I would use a broom handle sized to fit , cut a slot. To apply pressure on the pull you need a spring loaded thing inside the slot. The kind of rarely used custom tool that workshops make for themselves.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Never had to cut one out but did spend days pouring lube on the seat post in the hope that it would seep in between the seat tube and the post. Finally used a pipe wrench and brute force and ignorance to get it out. Whenever I put a seat post in these days I use copper slip - something I picked up off here. I've never got one stuck since. I do find the advice on here seriously useful.
Vaseline (Petroleum jelly) works as well and is a lot cleaner. Grease is a non starter in this application as it contains Soap so won't protect against galvanic corrosion

Top Bottom