Any one increased there cadence through training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Any one do cadence drills/training, Know at 125 i am about my max and have been watching some club members and they can really spin at speeds that i would be all over the place

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My max increased riding a fixed, but that's not specifically training to do it - you had too.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My training plan had a lot of higher cadence stuff (3 months worth) The averages before during and after were still the same

TLDR: momentary concentration on cadence will ultimately lead to self selection anyway

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tried it and failed miserably. I wasn't faster and more out of breath.
Last work on the subject I read (admittedly a while back) suggested that most people pedal at a cadence that is naturally most efficient for them. Works for me.

I used to do high cadence training just for giggles. For me it was important to separate cadence from speed during cadence training, you dont go fast or efficient or max out your heartrate and breathing, you train your legs to spin rapidly.
Gear down, gradually spin up as fast as you can and hold for your interval time.
It works best if your crank size is appropriate. Bigger guys with long legs on long cranks dont need to spin as fast as smaller people.

Sharky

Guru
I do most of my short training rides on a 68" SS and try to keep pedalling as long as I can before freewheeling.

I seem to pedal at a higher cadence after finding that was the only way for me to sustainably get over my turbore resistance and I've got used to it. Then again I think I've always had a high cadence at times the turbore has just made me the confidence in sustaining it.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes, I used to cycle around 70rpm when I first got into cycling. Then with indoor turbo training and Zwift, I needed to improve to compete.

Each winter I start a 12week plus training program, where I will try to maintain 95+ rpm for upto 3.5 hours. I
also do spin out cadence drills upto 175rpm.

Dont completely neglect low cadence for strength, muscle growth.

I tend to do long climbs, by spinning, for 30 mins- then low cadence to give HR a rest, then back upto high cadence when legs start to tire

BurningLegs

Veteran
I’m in the “would prefer cadence to be one less thing to worry about” camp and seem to ride at 90-95 most of the time.

In the last I’ve experimented with higher cadences but don’t feel I’ve seen any benefit so pretty much disregard it these days and ride what’s comfortable.

What adaptations are you riders with really high cadence (125+) seeing/targeting?

Venod

Eh up
My average Cadence has got quicker as I have got older, when younger I was also doing a lot of running, legs were stronger then, on club runs I was usualy in an higher gear than most, nowadays its the opposite, I did 60 mile at 100rpm average, but most of the time its between 90 to 100, I find it unatural to use a low cadence now, if sat at the back of a group being pulled along I will sometimes use a higher gear/lower cadence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom