any one ski?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ComedyPilot said:
The link doesn't work for me???

It did for me. ;) It's the Swiss Wall. I think about 20 year die on it. It's the sort of thing that I avoid.

LLB

Dayvo said:
This'll get the juices going, but the wrong kind, though! :cheers::blush:;) :biggrin:

http://www.gennendrek.nl/photogallery/chavanette.jpg

Is that like a mobile home version of the chavalier ?

819921.jpg

alp1950

Patrick Stevens said:
I understand that if you fall, then you are likely to die because you just slide faster and faster until you hit your head at high speed. :biggrin:

Somewhere at home I've a book on off-piste skiing. If I remember correctly it describes a technique to stop yourself from accelerating down an icy slope- roll onto your front then try to raise your trunk and legs off the snow by pushing up on your hands or forearm and also push up your toes. Apparently it works! Never tried it though.

alp1950 said:
Somewhere at home I've a book on off-piste skiing. If I remember correctly it describes a technique to stop yourself from accelerating down an icy slope- roll onto your front then try to raise your trunk and legs off the snow by pushing up on your hands or forearm and also push up your toes. Apparently it works! Never tried it though.

Obviously not, because it doesn't! Your elbows and toes (because boots are rounded) will not stop you. The upper part of your body will tend to swing round so you go down head first.

I discovered this the hard way on a rather nasty off piste mogul field. Your best bet is to be on your back and get your heels into the slope. Use your elbows as a brake so your upper body does not swing round so that you go down head first. Arch your body so that all the weight is on the sharp heels of the ski boots.

On ultra steeps, don't try to brake because you can't - just try to steer for the middle of the piste and avoid the trees.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Les Angles in the Pyrenees for me. Has to be Feb half term, but I got flights from Luton to Girona for £2.89 + bits, Senic for £49.99 + insurance for going into France and a 2 bed apartment for €600. So about £250 each for one of the most expensive weeks in the year. :wacko:
Les Angles suits me, still a village feel although it gets more developed each year. Not too many English (getting more and more each year though) and very few locals speak English. They have had more snow so far this season than in the whole of 2007/8. Only 2 months to go. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
All you skiers will be pleased to know that my own skiing/climbing buddy is just back from a week in Val D'Isere - he says it was easily the best week's skiing he's ever had in his life, there was masses of snow and thanks to the cold it stayed dry and un-transformed all week, getting topped up by regular new snow. He was able to conquer the demon and learn to ski powder properly.

twowheelsgood

Just come back last weekend from Sölden Austria.

The skiing was flippin' fantastic. The whole of the main resort was open and you could ski right to the bottom lift.

Top Bottom