any one ski?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

mr Mag00 said:
cannot go this year, and yet best snow for 12 years !! :biggrin:
so make me green with envy and just give an idea of where you are going and when

not sure you really want to hear this - but got three weeks lined up! ;) Les Arcs-Val d'Isere-then Les Arcs again.

If it's any consolation global warming will probably melt all the snow before Feb half-term:sad::biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'll make you skiers all jealous.... back in 1980 I was in between jobs and a French lady I knew asked me to come and work for her at her language school in Megeve. All I had to do was go to Geneva airport and pick up the students, do a bit of shopping and maintenence around the chalet, then take the kids skiing all afternoon. So I skied free of charge for an entire season......

User482 said:
Les Arcs,

Having a go at the flying kilometre? ;)

I'm going with a large group of friends and I anticipate that we might end up swigging supermarket hooch in our rooms. I recall that Austria has some particularly cheap rum called Stroh, albeit that it's so disgusting that when I made an experimental purchase of a quarter bottle, people wouldn't even drink it in coffee. We might not be so fussy this time round. :smile:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thinking about Switzerland this year to escape the euro. Can anyone recommend some good resorts, high up enough for guaranteed (?) snow but a good range of blues, reds, blacks and some cross country routes.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
fantastic alp1950!!! i spent 2 weeks a few years ago in la plagne just acroos the vanoise express, now not working.
rigid raider what a great job

alp1950

Cathryn said:
Thinking about Switzerland this year to escape the euro. Can anyone recommend some good resorts, high up enough for guaranteed (?) snow but a good range of blues, reds, blacks and some cross country routes.

Not sure about cross country but everybody needs to ski Zermatt at least once. Large area, high, snow-sure & probably the most scenic resort I've ever been to. Not cheap though.

St Moritz is pretty spectacular too, skiing a bit more spread out but very good for cross-country.

mr Mag00 said:
fantastic alp1950!!! i spent 2 weeks a few years ago in la plagne just acroos the vanoise express, now not working.
rigid raider what a great job

The area is even nicer in summer. Rumour has it that the Tour will be staying in Arc1950 when they come to Bourg St Maurice next year- planning on going out then as well.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
alp1950 said:
Not sure about cross country but everybody needs to ski Zermatt at least once. Large area, high, snow-sure & probably the most scenic resort I've ever been to. Not cheap though.

St Moritz is pretty spectacular too, skiing a bit more spread out but very good for cross-country.

The area is even nicer in summer. Rumour has it that the Tour will be staying in Arc1950 when they come to Bourg St Maurice next year- planning on going out then as well.

I spent a lovely week in BSM this January. Would recommend it for all people with broken legs. Hoping to cycle back there this summer for the tour.

Cathryn said:

Zermatt is excellent and not as expensive as I thought it would be (I miscalculated the exchange rate at lunchtime) Grindelwald is very varied and quite spectacular with its view of the Eiger. However, by far the most enjoyable was the little known Villars which I went to in January. The weather was fantastic and the some slopes were virtually empty. There's not much difficult skiing though.

U

User482

Patrick Stevens said:
Having a go at the flying kilometre? :sad:

I'm going with a large group of friends and I anticipate that we might end up swigging supermarket hooch in our rooms. I recall that Austria has some particularly cheap rum called Stroh, albeit that it's so disgusting that when I made an experimental purchase of a quarter bottle, people wouldn't even drink it in coffee. We might not be so fussy this time round. :sad:

I suspect that the quantity of vin chaud necessary to make me even consider the flying km, would render me incapable of actually making it to the start. ;)

Top Bottom