Any one try cheap carbon seat posts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Looking on Ebay for a carbon seat post and there are cheap carbon seat posts made in China , They are £7.29 with free delivery question is are they any good? They are cheaper than second hand ally posts?
Ebay item number 283240536484 .

Attachments

• $_12(1).JPG
    $_12(1).JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 14

Venod

Eh up
I have had cheap carbon posts and they have been fine, I think the cheapest was about 12 quid, but this was UK prices so probably Chinese sourced, I have had cheap Chinese carbon forks that were a fantastic replacement for some Cannondale ones.

I suspect a lot of the more expensive Carbon stuff is made in China/Asia, along with some cheap rubbish, only you can decide if its worth the risk.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had carbon forks to replace leaking suspension forks temporarily and liked them so much that I kept them on the bike. They were excellent quality and i used to endo the bike without concern. The brand is eXotic from Carbon Cycles, here: https://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=197

They also have a wide range of seaposts.

I had a cheapish one break. Fortunately l was only 1/2 mile from home.
It sheared just above the frame, not all the way through. At first it was like I had suspension at the back of the bike!
Aluminium post fitted now.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I had a cheap one from a UK supplier, RSP branded, cost around £25 IIRC, 7 miles was more than enough to ride home out of the saddle :blush: I have one that came on my Spesh Allez nearly 15 years ago, still going strong on my turbo bike. I wouldn't risk buying a cheap one again :okay: (ps my weight has been between 95-110kg so that could affect things too :laugh:)

On a Facebook bike mechanics page there have been quite a few threads about cheap chinese carbon failure; it may be ok but I'd be a bit wary of a £7 carbon seatpost and of course there's carbon and there is carbon.

Milzy

Guru
Yeah Planet X it snapped

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Many thanks for both the replies and advice guys, just bought an alloy seat post last thing i need is for a mechanical failure miles from home, thanks again every one advice much appreciated and taken with thanks.

Top Bottom