Any one up for a real challenge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Somehow I don't think the Peak District and the Alps really compare, added to which this is a rolling closed road event (without carpet tacks). No give me the Alps any day...

bonj2

Greenbank said:
If you want hilly events then look for Grimpeur Audax rides.

They'll probably be a lot easier to get to than the Alps (as long as you live near some real hills).
yeah but it's got this:
rennservice_02,method=render,prop=data.jpg

and tunnels!
gefahrenstellen_01,method=render,prop=data.jpg

(hopefully the cow won't be in the way though :wacko:)
I've never done any riding abroad and the roads abroad are undoubtedly a way different experience to riding in britain. Probably for the better. An experience i wouldn't mind getting.

Greenbank said:
Plus you can start off with a shorter 100km ride (still with 2000m+ of climbing usually).

http://www.audax.uk.net/ then click on Calendar, then select "AAA only" as the ride type and hit "Show".

Greenbank said:
If you need/want time to train, and want a real challenge, then consider the Midlander Super Grimpeur from Sutton Coldfield. 26th June 2010. 300km and 5390m of climbing. Stunning ride, across the length of the Peak District, twice, and I certainly felt the hills when I did it this year. :smile:

and/or http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=10-4 ;):biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
ilovebikes said:
i'd be interested for sure

Good on you. If anyone can do it, you can.
Not for me yet, as I'm still in time-debt post July.
I'm also obliged to listen to Greenbank. When it comes to long distance rides, he knows his stuff.

Greenbank

Über Member
My point was that you can wait for one special event a year (actually, there are quite a few like that: the Etape, Gran Fondo Italia, or truly bonkers stuff like the Raid Pyrenean).

Or ride one of more than a hundred similar hilly things that take place all over the UK throughout the year.

I guess it's whether you get your kicks from just riding the hills or it's the 'event' that creates more of a buzz for you. I'm definitely only really care about the former (that's not to say that riding for the 'event' buzz is wrong).

bonj2

Greenbank said:

I guess it's whether you get your kicks from just riding the hills or it's the 'event' that creates more of a buzz for you. I'm definitely only really care about the former (that's not to say that riding for the 'event' buzz is wrong).

My motivation is both of those, but I would say the 'event' buzz also incorporates the scenery, the general day out, etc.

Greenbank said:
If I wasn't busy I'd be all over that ride. I mean, it's only another 400km on top of the Bryan Chapman 600, and I did that on fixed... :hyper:

yes, and it's 4 days. I think it does include the devils bridge though... isn't that meant to be 1 in 4... i'd be pushing if i were on fixed there.

bonj2

mr Mag00 said:
how the hell would you train for that? esp down in dorset?

Simple answer: By leaving dorset. :hyper:

yello

Greenbank said:

Is both allowed? :thumbsup: Rhetorical question obviously! But there's no either/or for me.

yello

arallsopp said:
I'm also obliged to listen to Greenbank.

Why? Is he telling you not to do it? :thumbsup:

I think using a hilly audax would be a good way to train. I've always found solo training really quite difficult (not once on the bike, but getting motivated to get there!) so having a fixed date and event is motivation.

Aside; I really do miss audax, big time. My area of France is sadly an audax-free zone and whilst there are local club randonnées during summer months, they are 100km max and rarely that much. There is nothing over winter. My LEL training was done solo, on self plotted routes, as non of my club mates will ride much over 150km. :biggrin:

Top Bottom