Any other athsmatics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to get athsma every summer, until I started smoking five or six years ago. During all the years I smoked I was never once troubled by seasonal athsma, but now I've been off the fags for six months, my athsma has returned with a vengeance. (Which is weird, but never mind.) I couldn't sleep last night because of it and it's the only reason I'm awake at this time on a Sunday morning. Is anyone else struggling? Does anyone know why it's bad at the moment? I wondered if it might be a side effect of this volcano everyone's going on about, but I don't live in the upper atmosphere.:smile:

wafflycat

Both MrWC & I, although not asthmatics, are having a pretty tough time at the moment - those 'Spring colds' seem to be settling on the chests.

graham56

Guru
I suffer from it and use both Salbutamol & Beclazone, but although a little wheezy at the mo not to bad really.My doctor told me that pollen can have a big impact on asthma , so could that be affecting you?
Hope you feel better RT. Right i'm fed and watered or should that be teaed?, so am off out on the bike.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I never had a problem all the time i smoked. After 20 years i stopped and then all of a sudden found that i had asthma and hayfever.

Now i struggle to ride through the winter, and get wheezy for about 8 months of the year. Cold weather triggers it, and then the pollen kicks in.
and its bad at the moment :smile:

Mark_Robson

Steve Austin said:
I never had a problem all the time i smoked. After 20 years i stopped and then all of a sudden found that i had asthma and hayfever.

Now i struggle to ride through the winter, and get wheezy for about 8 months of the year. Cold weather triggers it, and then the pollen kicks in.
and its bad at the moment :smile:
Welcome to the club Steve...same here

longers

Legendary Member
I should join the club too. Will probably get my asthma back from what you've all said.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Mark_Robson said:
Welcome to the club Steve...same here

We could be twins! I gave up 5 1/2 years ago too. Asthma getting worse and the fever isn't holding back.
I appear to be allergic to all sorts of stuff.
I've always wondered if there should be a health warning on fags
"Smoking can prevent Asthma"
"chemicals in this product can be good for you"

I wouldn't ever start smoking again, but i was never fitter and healthier than when i was smoking

Mark_Robson

It's weird though, I just wish that they could create an antihistamine that would work for me. I am allergic to house dust, most perfumes and some pet furs. Strangely enough I'm not too bad with Pollen but stick me next to someone drowned in perfume and I go into anaphylactic meltdown.

ELL

Über Member
I have asthma and the last couple of days have been a little bad for me. Bike ride yesterday I suffered a bit. They did say on the news that the volcanic ash would have an effect on asthma sufferers.

Mille

Mark_Robson said:
It's weird though, I just wish that they could create an antihistamine that would work for me. I am allergic to house dust, most perfumes and some pet furs. Strangely enough I'm not too bad with Pollen but stick me next to someone drowned in perfume and I go into anaphylactic meltdown.

I'm asthmatic and use Clenil Modulite as a preventer, which weirdly also suppresses my other hayfever reactions most of the time. Not sure if it's supposed to.

The only antihistamine that has ever worked for me is Benadryl (not the decongestant one - different drug). Unfortunately the active ingredient is Acrivastine (sp?) which seems the be the only antihistamine you can't buy under a generic label for about 99p.

Summer gets expensive if it's particularly bad.

BearPear

Veteran
My daughter's asthma seemed to be in over-drive last month, the Doc has changed her preventer from Beclamethasone to a purple one (can't recall the name) which has been a massive improvement - just in time for her dance exams. The purple preventer has a built in long lasting reliever. She had been sleeping with her blue under her pillow as she couldn't get throught the night without waking short of breath.

Top Bottom