Any Pashley owners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I have been thinking about a new bike for a while now :wub:.
Have a big birthday coming up :eek: but Mr M can't see the point in buying me another road bike. :ninja:
I do love my Felt roadie and she's been well looked after so won't let her go. (Pimped and upgraded a wee bit). :bicycle:
Can't see me getting a mountain bike as didn't enjoy the last one much and my budget is around £600 max.
Recently checked out the Pashley Tube Rider online and think she looks lovely.
Went into local Halfords recently to buy some valve caps and saw the Pashley Parabike on display (same as Tube Rider but less colourful).
I sat on it and it felt just perfect.
Reviews are quite good even though it's a heavyish bike.
Anybody own one who can give me their view?
Thanks in advance :smile:.

Recently checked out the Pashley Tube Rider online and think she looks lovely.
Went into local Halfords recently to buy some valve caps and saw the Pashley Parabike on display (same as Tube Rider but less colourful).
I sat on it and it felt just perfect.
Reviews are quite good even though it's a heavyish bike. :smile:.
Methinks the answer is in your own post

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Not a pashley but I have aa 20kg utility, hubbed everything bike, Mrs SB also has a Revolution Heritage Dutch bike wirh a bit of weight to it. As soon as you start pedalling the weight goes away and while its not skittish nimble like a roadie it is responsive enough to be a nice ride even in less good weather with being sit up and beg.

The big win is the armchair like comfort and the relaxed stress free ride.

Honestly, I doubt you could go wrong with a Pashley. Add to that you already are in love, and it's a no brainer. If it was me, I'd get the Britania because it's red. Oh, and it has a basket.

You are already in the territory of confirmation bias. Here's a bunch of reviews that will encourage you to buy! You know you want it.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pashley/parabike-hybrid-bike-ec033467#reviews

OP
OP
Mrs M

Mrs M

Guru
Honestly, I doubt you could go wrong with a Pashley. Add to that you already are in love, and it's a no brainer. If it was me, I'd get the Britania because it's red. Oh, and it has a basket.

You are already in the territory of confirmation bias. Here's a bunch of reviews that will encourage you to buy! You know you want it.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pashley/parabike-hybrid-bike-ec033467#reviews
I so do want it, that's the one I sat on :wub:.
But don't want navy or green.
Other colours are "pin tail" turquoise and bright orange, or "double scoop" pink and turquoise.
It shall be mine :smile: :crazy:.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Pashleys do seem good but they are heavier and more expensive than alternatives (I'm really happy with my Dutchie instead)... but as mentioned above, weight isn't as important on this sort of bike and if you're in love with a Pash, maybe any alternative would only be a hated substitute. You'll notice the weight, but not as much as you think, except when climbing.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As the ex-owner (run the poor bike to the ground, so I did!) of a 21kg steel single speed town bike I can confirm the heftiness is negligible once in motion.
I even used to attack a local steep hill, with success, on more energetic days.
However, a friend has a Pashley proper, it makes a horrible squeaky noise, seems either to come from the hobs or the Brooks (saddle).
I have been too diplomatic to inquire if this normal for the make, or if it's a maintenance issue.

Aunty Tyke

:rolleyes:I've just bought a second hand Pashley Soverign,beautiful black,large basket,put a huge smile on my face! Have a road bike,this is for little rides! Love the inbuilt lock for the back wheel,such a clever idea

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The Milkfloat family stable includes a Pashley. It gets used to trundle to town, drop the kids off or an alternative to drink driving on a night out. As others have said, once you are up to speed it is fine. Trying to put it on the roof of a car or climbing a hill is a challenge. Bunny hops are also out. To say the rod brakes are ineffective is an understatement. She won't become a n-1 though. If she did get stolen, then a replacement would come in the form of http://elephantbike.co.uk/

Onyer

I had a Pashley that I used as a bike for round the village, down to the allotment etc. Had panniers on the rear rack to carry everything. This was similar to the Parabike, i.e. twin top tubes. One day I was going down to the allotment and got the front wheel caught in the gutter as I was trying to navigate my way onto the pavement. Next thing I knew the front wheel had hit a low fence and I was off. No damage to me but the top tubes and the down tubes were damaged and the front wheel was pushed back. Now I wasn't going fast and I didn't think I had hit the fence that hard - but the damage was done. Took it to a Pashley dealer who phoned the company to see what could be done to straighten it out. Nothing they said! So the frame ended up in the skip. Shame as it was a nice bike - but not as strong as they say it is.

I had a Pashley that I used as a bike for round the village, down to the allotment etc. Had panniers on the rear rack to carry everything. This was similar to the Parabike, i.e. twin top tubes. One day I was going down to the allotment and got the front wheel caught in the gutter as I was trying to navigate my way onto the pavement. Next thing I knew the front wheel had hit a low fence and I was off. No damage to me but the top tubes and the down tubes were damaged and the front wheel was pushed back. Now I wasn't going fast and I didn't think I had hit the fence that hard - but the damage was done. Took it to a Pashley dealer who phoned the company to see what could be done to straighten it out. Nothing they said! So the frame ended up in the skip. Shame as it was a nice bike - but not as strong as they say it is.
We don't need this sort of fact-based negativity in this thread! Can't you see that @Mrs M is in love?

(seriously, that's a pity. I've always assumed that Pashleys had their faults, heavy and old fashioned - which are also amongst their virtues. But I thought they were bullet proof, and would outlive their owner. Oh well, elephant bike it is!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mrs M

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm The eagle has landed!
Well, the lovely Gloria :smile:
Picked her up tonight, bit of a kerfuffle getting her in the car. Just about managed to reconnect the front Hub
brake, will need some some more fiddling.
We bit of pimping coming up and ready to roll. Maiden voyage coming up soon, weather permitting.
:bicycle: :wub: :smile:

Top Bottom