Any police officers could answer a question .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The son of a friend of Mrs D got a ticket for venturing out to buy a cake. He was unable to evidence any medical condition that made regular cake consumption a necessity, so he won the prize.

Hmmm.

Little, if any, of the foodstuffs that our household buys is necessitated by a medical condition. Are we treading on thin ice?

Couldn't your friend's son have justified the cake by explaining he's a cyclist? :rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
Knowing the lad as I do, I am a mite suspicious that he may have said something to the effect of "fornicate away, you person of porcine nature", and thus immediately negated any likelihood he'd have been given a simple clip round the ear and marched home to his Mum.

tom73

Guru
Just across the border in Buckinghamshire Thames Valley Plod have been stopping people on the A5, and plastering it all over Faceter and Twitbook. This ceased when dozen of respondents pointed out the emergency legislation confers no powers upon a constable to request the driver of a motor vehicle to stop.

:secret: Don't tell everybody the current situation is proving to be very handy. Mrs 73 is seeing an increase in taking samples at the moment for drug driving. Having only got found out due to being pulled and asked is your journey necessary.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This ceased when dozen of respondents pointed out the emergency legislation confers no powers upon a constable to request the driver of a motor vehicle to stop.
But the existing legislation allows the Police to stop motor vehicles. As a retired officer of the law, I am sure you will be familiar with section 163 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
Or is the rumour true that you are a reincarnation of Regulator, which would explain your confusion?

Drago

Legendary Member
If you read the explanatory notes of the legislation, to stop vehicles in order to inspect the drivers documents (and other crime related purposes). They can't just stop them because they happen to be in uniform and just feel like it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to do student jobs driving for Hertz, usually late-night runs to return cars to the depot at Marble Arch, which we could do in under 5 hours from Newcastle in some nice fast Capris and Granadas. Then five of us would pile into one car and snooze while one unfortunate bloke drove us back. Usually a couple of the drivers were PCs earning extra cash and it was always fascinating to hear them summarising various drivers we saw and discussing what reason they could give for stopping them. The slightest wobble seemed to be grounds for drink-driving.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think the OP is overthinking it, it's legal, there is no restriction on what they want to do, just do it if needed.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you read the explanatory notes of the legislation, to stop vehicles in order to inspect the drivers documents (and other crime related purposes). They can't just stop them because they happen to be in uniform and just feel like it.
Really? In 19 years I was never aware of that, and it was generally accepted that ANY motor vehicle on the road was fair game for a stop.
Having taken another look at the legislation, I don't see anything to convince me I was doing wrong all those years? Is it an English thing, like PACE or similar? :ohmy:

Top Bottom