Any police officers could answer a question .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I may need to drive 120 miles each way to collect my granddaughter if her mother's health deteriorates (not covid 19).
Can I get permission or just go and explain circumstances if I get stopped.

Send a private message if preferred.Thanks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
From a retired one, and not an English force, but.... if you can prove you have "reasonable excuse" for making the journey, you should be fine. I think that is the term used in the hastily drawn up legislation.

tom73

Guru
The act covers emergency situations if it's the only way to keep her safe then you will be fine.
I'd say if an officer prevented you once knowing a child is at risk then a legal duty of care come's into question.
They then have to do something about it allowing you to collect her would really be the only simple option.
Unless they want to be left to fix it. Which given the time it would take I doubt it.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
From a retired one, and not an English force, but.... if you can prove you have "reasonable excuse" for making the journey, you should be fine. I think that is the term used in the hastily drawn up legislation.

In fact there are no specific restrictions on driving at all in the legislation, just a (non-exhaustive) list of examples of what would be considered a reasonable excuse for leaving home.

One of those reasonable excuses is "(d) to provide care or assistance ... to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance"

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The initial decision to get any legal ball rolling is made by the copper who stops you, which he will only do if you are obviously swinging the lead.

Your reason to travel looks eminently reasonable to me, assuming the child's mother's capability to look after the child is genuinely compromised.

It's not possible to dump a child just anywhere.

Any mother in that situation would look to grandad and grandma for help.

Brains

Legendary Member
Suggest you leave the caravan at home and don't put the bikes on the roof, and as long as it's not near a nice coastal resort or national park you should be OK

I've driven hundreds of miles during the lock down (2 major family issues), and I've not seen any trace of people being stopped.
But I've heard of obvious holidaymakers being stopped on the A30 to Cornwall

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I would have thought this constitutes 'good reason' if mums health condition causes her to be unable to reasonably tend to the child. As parents have what is legally referred to as PR (parental responsibility), unless in extreme circumstances and given the current dangers to what i am assuming are older citizens in grandparents, you should have no problems whatsoever if a copper stops you. Common sense should prevail and i hope mum is OK. :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Suggest you leave the caravan at home and don't put the bikes on the roof, and as long as it's not near a nice coastal resort or national park you should be OK

I've driven hundreds of miles during the lock down (2 major family issues), and I've not seen any trace of people being stopped.
But I've heard of obvious holidaymakers being stopped on the A30 to Cornwall
Just across the border in Buckinghamshire Thames Valley Plod have been stopping people on the A5, and plastering it all over Faceter and Twitbook. This ceased when dozen of respondents pointed out the emergency legislation confers no powers upon a constable to request the driver of a motor vehicle to stop.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just across the border in Buckinghamshire Thames Valley Plod have been stopping people on the A5, and plastering it all over Faceter and Twitbook. This ceased when dozen of respondents pointed out the emergency legislation confers no powers upon a constable to request the driver of a motor vehicle to stop.

Aye, but there’s nothing preventing police stopping any driver to check documents and the conversation gets around to ‘where are you going and why’.

Drago

Legendary Member
No, there is an offence in the legislation of failing to account for your presence outside, so going all schtumn will land you a ticket.

Aye, but there’s nothing preventing police stopping any driver to check documents and the conversation gets around to ‘where are you going and why’.

This is indeed very true. Alas, TVP weren't asking drivers for their documents and then, having done so, steering the conversation around to other matters. From the videos Mrs D has shown me on Twitbook theyve dived straight in with questioning about the purpose of their journey. This has been very quickly picked up by many Faceter pundits, and The Valley ceased any more such operations, st least for the present time. Indeed, our Chief Freemason in Poshshire has publicly stated there will be no such roadblocks here as the legislation does not permit it, which must be a bit embarrassing for the neighours in TVP.

Last edited:

simon.r

Person
My nephew got stopped while driving late at night.

He works as a baker for Tesco, who had given him a letter to show to the police, explaining that he worked odd hours.

Top Bottom