any psychologists/dream analysts on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

hmmm... it was almost as if when the bag got heavier it was like the dream was getting revenge on me for 'ousting' it...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it's quite common for a dream to end with a bump of some sort as you wake up. I also remember hearing a while ago, that dreams, although they seem to play out in real time, are in fact extremely quick. So in the few seconds it might take for you to wake up in reaction to a noise or something, the whole dream could play out - almost like the dream is caused by the waking up suddenly, rather than being a preamble to it... I don't know if I'm explaining it very well. Also, I can't remember where I heard about it, on some TV science show I think, so I may be wrong.

And I think the tumbleweed is just you bonj, I've never dreamt of tumbleweed...

barq

I don't know (m)any psychologists who'd be happy to analyse a dream (in depth) outside a research or clinical context. Besides there is very little agreement about what, if anything dreams mean. As a psychologist/discourse analyst (note: not a dream analyst!) I suppose the relationship between the money you felt you shouldn't accept and the coins becoming heavy and dragging you off the bike seems interesting. But it doesn't necessarily map onto anything in real life, the relationship might be purely symbolic or even non-existent.

No idea about the shop being in the different place, but I think distortions of reality are very common in dreams. Waking up with a jolt, or the sensation of having gone round a corner very fast, is also very common. I find myself doing that if I go on MTB holidays. Every night I dream about the trails I've ridden and periodically wake myself up with the jolting 'just crashed my bike' feeling. Even in my dreams I'm a crap rider. :biggrin:

BTW Someone mentioned REM sleep and dreams. My colleagues at the sleep lab up the road tell me that although textbooks still say dreams = REM sleep, the relationship looks like it is a lot more complicated.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Put a few drops of clary sage oil on your pillow. Drink a couple of beers. Sleep. You won't dream, you'll trip. :blush::o):ohmy:

where do you get "clary sage oil" from? not julian clary, i hope?

Dave5N

Über Member
Chuffy said:
:ohmy:
No, from a shop. Health food shops, Culpepers, Boots, possibly some hippy type shops. It's an essential oil.

It's not that essential. I've managed alright without it so far. (ALthough maybe that's why I'm on here 'til the early ours when I should be zedded up.)

Top Bottom