Any reason not to buy this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
I am looking to upgrade. I have seen this and really like the look, although I accept it not to everyone's taste. It seems a good price but reviews seem scarce. Has anyone any experience of it, and the company selling. The only thing slightly putting me off is the rear cassette, wold have liked a 30t low gear? I am guessing that the mech will handle a cassette change.

I am going to have to take a chance and buy it mail order as its too far away to travel.

So what do you think yes it looks good or aargh stay away

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/orbea-orca-bli2-di2-road-bike/14021?item_added_msg=1

Peteaud

Veteran
Di2 will only take a 28 cassette.

Is there not a dealer near you?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That looks like a nice bike! Do you definitely need the extra 2 teeth?

If you do, fair enough - the bottom gear on my main road bike is much lower than 34/28 (26/28!), but I also have a Cannondale with 39/29 as its bottom gear and that is okay on most hills except for the really steep stuff.

Is it very hilly where you will be using the new bike?

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
26/28... Now that's what I could do with. Do most riding in the Yorkshire Dales and when I was going up Malham Cove crying I promised myself the next bike would have a minimum 30 or even 32 lowest gear. Just read a few comments that say that di2 officially takes a 28, unofficially easily handle a 30 maybe even 32. So back interested again!

Peteaud

Veteran
26/28... Now that's what I could do with. Do most riding in the Yorkshire Dales and when I was going up Malham Cove crying I promised myself the next bike would have a minimum 30 or even 32 lowest gear. Just read a few comments that say that di2 officially takes a 28, unofficially easily handle a 30 maybe even 32. So back interested again!

Shimano do say 28T max for the Di2 although looking at mine i do think it would take a 30T. Indeed ive seen a youtube video with a 32T but its an expensive mistake if it screws up the rear mech.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
didnt wiggins use a 32t in the tdf last year for the steeper climbs and he uses di2

rb58

Enigma
That is a lovely bike at a great price. It's been on my N+1 shortlist for a while now. You really ought to try and ride it before buying it though. No experience of that website I'm afraid. [The SLi2 is seriously tempting]
If your really need those extra gears, Ultegra Di2 2014 11 speed (6870) the mid cage rear derailler will will work up to 32T cassette. EDIT: Not available until next year I think.

Last edited:
Any reason not to buy this?
You've realise that you are actually owe me £2k In all seriousness go ahead and snap it up. The lighter, faster bike et al. will more than make up for 2t :thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
I think I am going to buy the DI2, as someone else says the weight reduction should more compensate for not getting that extra gear. The only question I have is not knowing about DI2 particularly is there more of a risk of it not being set up correctly than a manual system. Just thinking that if its not right won't be able to take it back to the shop. Are they more temperamental?

Peteaud

Veteran
I think I am going to buy the DI2, as someone else says the weight reduction should more compensate for not getting that extra gear. The only question I have is not knowing about DI2 particularly is there more of a risk of it not being set up correctly than a manual system. Just thinking that if its not right won't be able to take it back to the shop. Are they more temperamental?

This thread will give you more information.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/shimano-di-do-and-do-not.112006/post-2618379

Mr Haematocrit

the Di2 expert is the one to ask

Top Bottom