Shimano Di* do and do not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe M

Just to let you know the LBS changed all the shimano parts for free and sent them back to Shimano and they will let me know what Shimano say the fault was. Happy with the service in the end but debugging the Ui2 is a hassle, a bit like a computer :smile:
Shimano came back to the shop and the problem was the control unit around the BB, they replaced it and it is now working. Thanks for all the help. The shop has been great as well, they have left me with there new Ui2 and they have kept the old one returned by Shimano.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Shimano came back to the shop and the problem was the control unit around the BB, they replaced it and it is now working. Thanks for all the help. The shop has been great as well, they have left me with there new Ui2 and they have kept the old one returned by Shimano.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what the issue was :thumbsup: it adds to everyone's knowledge, I did also guess/suggest that the junction box (which is what Shimano seem to be calling the control unit as there is only one box down there) could be the issue. They seem to be a little easy to damage IMHO. A few people now seem to be removing them when doing BB or wrapping them in bubble wrap.
It's great that the shop have been good though, thumbs up for them.... Glad its all sorted

I would guess they are linked, I think junction box or loom by the BB has been damaged.
It's pretty feasible to do on some bikes, I've replaced a couple of junction boxes on bikes which have damaged.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You can get Di2 with external wiring, it has never been 'officially' offered in a triple configuration but it can and does work with triples. DuraAce is better in such configuration.

mmmmm could be next years upgrade to the sabbath sorted right there.....what would the approx cost be???

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

mmmmm could be next years upgrade to the sabbath sorted right there.....what would the approx cost be???

You can get it 'done' for around £900 - £1000 for 10 speed however to do it properly you need to budget an extra £150.
A lot depends upon how much you want to shop around you can get cheaper components from Europe, and a complete kit can be quite cost effective depending upon source.

Peteaud

Veteran
If i want to change the 12-25 cassette to a 11-28 (Ultegra) what is the best chain to use.

Do you have to use the Shimano chain?

Does the unit have to be plugged in to the diagnostic stuff to alter the cassette size?

Ultegra system, 10 speed

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

You can just change the cassette as you would on a normal bike, you don't need to use the diagnostics for this. You don't have to use the Shimano chain however the shifting quality deteriorates when a different chain is used from my experience. Keep it all Ultegra/Dura-Ace and mickle it regularly and you won't go far wrong IMHO.

Peteaud

Veteran
A couple more questions from a Di2 newbie.

Do chain quick links have any effect on the system?

If leaving the bike for a while is it best to remove the battery.

The little button on the junction box / battery meter... leave it well alone i presume ?

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

I run quick links without any issue, so its not a problem.
No need to remove the battery, only thing of note is if taking the bike out in cold/damp/wet conditions its worth spraying the battery (when its on the bike) with a water dispersant such as WD40 and permitting to dry as it creates a seal between the battery and mount.
Yea the button you don't need unless you drop the bike and the mech goes into shock mode to protect itself and you need to reset
You can tell how much charge you have in the battery by holding the shifter down for a couple of seconds and should not need to charge regular... I charge once a year in general

Iceman Aus

Continuing on with the battery running flat problem on my Dura Ace 10 speed Di2.. Disconnected the FR battery lasts ..great!!! checked all connections -no problem there. checked cables - no twists or pinches. Cables are external so easy to check. Is there a way of "rebooting" the system? Maybe that would do the trick? Looks like the FR is not going into sleep mode when not in use. Sorry it has taken so long to repost but these things take time to try out and I have pushed it to one side in disgust. Thanks for any suggestions/help

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

You can't 'reboot' the system as it has no software that requires booting in the first place on Dura-Ace 10 Speed. The most you can do is reset the mech's when they have gone into shock protection mode after impact such as being dropped, if the mech's are functioning correctly then this is not necessary.
If you have identified a component which is causing battery drain then this component needs to go back to Shimano under RMA

Kulcha

Hi, I found this forum from searching online on an issue on my di2.
- RD cant go into micro adjustment mode
- i'm on 7970
- followed exactly on Shimano's doc, page 6 (http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...70/SI-6RX0A-005-ENG_v1_m56577569830707675.pdf)
- i'd tried taking off the battery, fully charged, reconnect RD and FD

With all the above, I could only got a quick flash red LED on the junction box but couldnt go into micro adjustment mode.

Your kind help will be grately appreciated.

Many thanks!

hegyestomi

Hi,
could you give me an indication of cost to move the battery from external to internal: DI2 DA 10 speed (2012). I'm not afraid to solder/cut/muck about things but not so sure about my brand new bike.
Happy to collaborate/follow instruction but would like to non intrusive/reversible solution please.
Also london based (se14)
Thanks
Tamas

Top Bottom