Shimano Di* do and do not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaxxstatic

Bike went into protection mode over some severe bumps on bike trail (roots under cement).
I ended up fixing it. It ended up being the connection inside the right shifter hood. The plug on that side was slightly ovalized for some reason, so it would look and feel like it was completely seated in the connection, but in actuality it wasn't. Got it firmly in there and put some tape in the space between to make sure it would stay.
Thanks for the suggestions, Mr. Haematocrit!
On a side note, LBS was kind of a let-down in terms of Di2 help. Luckily, Ultegra Di2 is really easy to work with on your own. I think I'm going to put down the cash for the diagnostic box.

Adim_x

Hello, I am having some problems with my Ultegra DI2. Recently rode in rain, then washed bike (no power wash), now my DI2 only works for a couple minutes at a time. I have to pull the battery and put back in, then I only get a couple minutes of the system working before it shuts off. I have checked all connection and battery is reading over 8V on my meter.. I don't know whats up. I can pull the cable to the battery holder and plug back in and the system will not work, but if I pull battery and plug back in, system will work for a few minutes. I am awaiting my PCE1 to arrive in the mail to check it out. I think either the battery is screwed up or something in the battery mount. Does anyone have any ideas?

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
What makes it stop working, is the battery still showing charge? - hold the shifter down and check the control box light and confirm (is it green, amber, red, no light)

Adim_x

The battery is definitely charged, I put my voltmeter on it, its like 8.1v. I lose all power after the battery is plugged in for a minute or two. The control box will not respond, its like the system is not getting any power. I have tried hooking up the battery mount with each cable on the bike, and I get some power for a minute or two. I have hooked the battery straight to the control box, without going through junction, and I will get a green light when plug in and when i check charge, but after a minute or two whole system is dead again. It is weird...

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Sounds like a short caused by dampness, I would start removing all connectors and ensuring they are dry and not earthing out, then your looking at inspecting the cables for damage.
In reality the diagnostic kit is the easiest way to determine where the issue lays in this case.

Joe M

Damn Ian you have a right to be hacked off, you equally have my sympathy but this have no value to you unfortunately. As you have said the diagnostics have not discovered anything. You need to undertake a process of discounting components, when Ui2 goes into sleep mode and powers down however it seems like one of your components maybe a little restless.
I would inspect your loom closely and ensure that it does not have any damage or pinching. They often get pinching around the bars and stem. If you are unable to locate damage you will need to start discounting components and this is time consuming. Charge your battery and unplug a single component, if the battery still goes flat charge again and unplug another component till you get to the component with the short

Did you ever figure out the problem. I have the same now, battery full (green light) for ~24 hours and then it empties in ~6 hours. My LBS is at a loss as to what the problem is, they have already changed the battery, battery holder, reset the SW (all based on Shimano recommendations), but still the same issue. It all suddenly happened after a service (new brake cable and a small fix in the BB). any help appreciated........

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

We unfortunately did not get a report back of what the issue was in this case, I have seen a Ui2 exhibit these symptoms myself and the issue was a damaged/not working loom section.
It's not uncommon though and seems exclusive to Ultegra rather than DuraAce having the same issue.

Are you certain you have not damaged the junction box or loom near the BB what fix did you have done in it?
Have you connected it to the diagnostic kit to see if that reports anything.

Joe M

We unfortunately did not get a report back of what the issue was in this case, I have seen a Ui2 exhibit these symptoms myself and the issue was a damaged/not working loom section.
It's not uncommon though and seems exclusive to Ultegra rather than DuraAce having the same issue.

Are you certain you have not damaged the junction box or loom near the BB what fix did you have done in it?
Have you connected it to the diagnostic kit to see if that reports anything.

Shimano diagnostic kit reports no problems. On the BB, changed a bearing as it seized up.
Before this, Ui2 worked perfectly, charged once after 3000km, now at 5000km and battery drains all the time since this repair. I think they are linked but LBS not convinced.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Shimano diagnostic kit reports no problems. On the BB, changed a bearing as it seized up.
Before this, Ui2 worked perfectly, charged once after 3000km, now at 5000km and battery drains all the time since this repair. I think they are linked but LBS not convinced.

I would guess they are linked, I think the junction box or loom by the BB has been damaged.
It's pretty feasible to do on some bikes, I've replaced a couple of junction boxes on bikes which have damaged.

Joe M

I would guess they are linked, I think the junction box or loom by the BB has been damaged.
It's pretty feasible to do on some bikes, I've replaced a couple of junction boxes on bikes which have damaged.

Thank you. Let me go talk with the LBS. they have been good so far, everything has been under guarantee. Will feedback how i get on.

Joe M

Just to let you know the LBS changed all the shimano parts for free and sent them back to Shimano and they will let me know what Shimano say the fault was. Happy with the service in the end but debugging the Ui2 is a hassle, a bit like a computer :smile:

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Just to let you know the LBS changed all the shimano parts for free and sent them back to Shimano and they will let me know what Shimano say the fault was. Happy with the service in the end but debugging the Ui2 is a hassle, a bit like a computer :smile:

Yea Shimano made the system unnecessarily complicated with Ui2 the standard 10 speed dura Di2 is a far simpler beast as the wiring is four core and uses a separate lie for the power, earth and signal... you can splice and dice this and test the lines easily with Ui2 the power and signal use the same line which makes troubleshooting a complete nightmare.

PhilipL

Hi I'm really interested in buying the UDi2 (10 speed) as it is such great value for money at the moment, with mavic ksyrium elite 10/11 speed wheels. Can you please confirm whether I could upgrade this groupset to 11 speed in the future by updating the firmware in the UDi2 (10 speed) groupset and adding a new 11 speed cassette and chain.
Thanks

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

The 10 speed Ui2 is based around the same e-tube technology that the 11 speed Di2 and 11 speed Ui2 is developed with. These are intended to be firmwear upgradable and I believe these will find themselves onto a MTB Di2/Ui2 group set at some point.
There is no official noise coming from Shimano about upgrading to 11 speed from 10 speed Ui2 but there is unofficial firmwear which permits this, you have to also change the rear mech's though for the 11 speed version.

I personally would approach them as different systems and if you want 11 speed sell on your 10 speed and buy the real deal, anything less and your looking for problem imho

Top Bottom