Shimano Di* do and do not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hegyestomi

Thanks, I replied.
I'll probably attempt to do it myself but I'll need some help.
Great job what you are doing here, very impressed!

Phil Ryan

Hi, Does anyone have any experience with the Dura Ace Di2 Rear Derailleur misalignment?

Reason for asking was I was in France for the Etape du Tour in July and prior to starting my bike was knocked over and the rear derailleur took a bit of a knock. Enough to leave a few marks. All seemed okay and the ride went without incident until the last climb when the chain started jumping whilst in the top rear cog which resulted in the chain failing. Repaired but failed three more times but only when in the top cog. (11-25). It looked as if the chain was being bent and the links popped out!

Was in Canada in August training and during climbing felt the chain clicking and started to have the same problems as in France. Local bike shop had a look and they said there was some misalignment but I find it very hard to believe that this caused such problems.

Anybody have any similar problems?

One further note I had the satellite shifter fitted prior to France and it was excellent on the climbs. The change was perfect.

Phil Ryan

I've seen Rear Derailleur misalignment, its not common in general.
Have you reset the Rear Derailleur after the impact?
I did yes. The guys in Canada carried out numerous checks as well including a torque test and said all was good. My latest rides have been UK which hasn't seen any further problems but lost a bit of confidence with the equipment.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
You really need to get a Di2 trained stockist to have a look at it if you think its misaligned as if this is the case the mech needs to be returned to Shimano for repair.
Out of curiosity is it running Dura-Ace cassette and chain? - It can jump on cheap cassettes without the Dura-Ace/Ultegra ramps or cassettes which exceed Shimano's recommendation for the group set (what's the cassette size)

I can have a look at it if your around London or want to bring it to me.

Phil Ryan

You really need to get a Di2 trained stockist to have a look at it if you think its misaligned as if this is the case the mech needs to be returned to Shimano for repair.
Out of curiosity is it running Dura-Ace cassette and chain? - It can jump on cheap cassettes without the Dura-Ace/Ultegra ramps or cassettes which exceed Shimano's recommendation for the group set (what's the cassette size)

I can have a look at it if your around London or want to bring it to me.

Yeah all Dura-Ace but when the chain failed I changed to an alternate as I read that the Shimano chains had a history of failure. The guys in Canada advised me to change back as it would be a lot smoother ride. They actually put an Ultegra chain on. Not sure if there is much difference.

I shall look at trying to find Di2 trained but struggling here in Singapore. There's a possibility I may be in London in November so I might take you up on the offer. Cheers.

Cassette size is 12-25.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

I exclusively use Shimano chains for Dura-Ace.. I've tried a lot of the others and the slickness is just not there, I have not had any issue with chain failure.
The cassette is an OK size/ratio is it Dura-Ace or Ulegra or a different brand?

Teuchter

Über Member
Hoping to avoid battery issues, is a wiring adapter available to allow me to power my Di2 shifters using one of these?
Product_3827fbac-4a8b-421a-9be3-a5cabb032fcd.JPG

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Hoping to avoid battery issues, is a wiring adapter available to allow me to power my Di2 shifters using one of these?
Product_3827fbac-4a8b-421a-9be3-a5cabb032fcd.JPG

Really interesting idea, as long as its capable of providing 7.4 volts you would be fine IMHO.
Another way in which you could approach it would be to continously charge the battery with the dynamo.
There is not an adaptor but with all these things, you could easily make one.

I'm not sure what battery issues you are concerned about experiencing, the only issues I have experienced myself is due to not plugging the battery in correctly after removal/refitting

Teuchter

Über Member
Really interesting idea, as long as its capable of providing 7.4 volts you would be fine IMHO.
So if I run two bottle dynamos, one either side of the rear tyre, I should be ok then? Would I have to wire them in parallel or series to achieve the required voltage?

As for weight, does anyone know of a producer of carbon fiber bodied dynamos?

(Before I go any further with this silliness... apologies to the serious readers of this thread. I'll remove my tongue from my cheek now and get back to my downtube friction shifters!)

azatlas

I have a new Ultegra Di2 with a 25T cassette (brand new bike) and would like to change it to a 28T. By the manual it states that two extra links would be needed in the chain. Would any resetting of the gears be needed if I just replaced the chain and cassette

Schuman

Yeah all Dura-Ace but when the chain failed I changed to an alternate as I read that the Shimano chains had a history of failure. The guys in Canada advised me to change back as it would be a lot smoother ride. They actually put an Ultegra chain on. Not sure if there is much difference.

I shall look at trying to find Di2 trained but struggling here in Singapore. There's a possibility I may be in London in November so I might take you up on the offer. Cheers.

Cassette size is 12-25.

Hi Ryan ,

Do you have the bike with you in Singapore ?
The problem only occur after the crash ?
Can the rear der. shift from the smallest to the biggest ?
does the junction A light up red once you have the issue with the rear der ?

Do let me know ...

Top Bottom