Shimano Di* do and do not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iceman Aus

Thanks for that. I have disconnected the RD and the battery seemed to last longer but still nowhere near the year as it previously had done. I have now disconnected the FR and will see what happens. Failing that I will do as you suggested with all connectors. Maybe I will purchase the diagnostic tool for the Dura Ace 10 speed and for the Ui2. I have one bike with Di2 10 speed one with Ui2 and one with the new 11speed Di2 so I think it would be a good idea to have the diagnostic tools myself. The LBS only have for the Ui2. Heat shrink is no problem as I use it at work often. Will let you know what it turns out to be as it will help others with the same problem.

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Another job for Mr Haematocrit,looks badly exposed there.
IMG_1669 (Small).JPG
IMG_1670 (Small).JPG

Jaxxstatic

First post. Cheers to everyone.
Anyone ever had trouble getting their Ui2 out of "crash saver" or "protection function" mode? I can't seem to get mine out of it. I followed the Dealer's manual instructions, holding the RD function button for 5 or more seconds while turning the crank. It restored connectivity, shifting the RD all the way down then back up again, but functionality didn't come back after the light went off. Tried micro adjusting, too, but no go.

Jaxxstatic

During a crash the rear derailleur motor disengages to reduce damage, you need to reset this via the button on the junction box A

Ah, so I mispoke. When I said I held the "RD function button," I meant I held the button on junction box A for 5 seconds or more. RD functionality still nonexistent after it scrolled through all the gears in the back. Only thing I can think of is the connection to the shifter itself, but the connection inside the hood is good. Next spot to check would be inside the bottom bracket? I'd rather not, if you know what I mean.
I rode the bike to my LBS (shifting only in the front...), and they didn't know what was up with it. They also checked connections and adjusted the derailleur by hand, just as I did, but no go. For them to check it with the diagnostic box thingy, I'll have to bring it in again tomorrow. I'd rather just fix it myself, if possible.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
You can test the front shifter, by swapping the plug to the other shifter which is working. I personally would not think the issue was wit the shifter. I would think your issue is one of two things.
1) The rear mech has pulled the plug loose on the junction box by the BB - not as uncommon as you would think.
2) The rear mech has internal damage, although it goes into protection mode when dropped or impacted this does not always work. Which is easy to discount, all the shop needs to do is replace it with one that works to try (I would think this is the likely issue)

Out of curiosity why did the mech need to be reset, did the bike fall, or did you have an off?

Top Bottom