Any recommendations for breathable,waterproof jackets please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I use a Castelli gillet, not a full rain jacket.

Fawesome 2
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-fawesome-2-vest

OP
OP
Devon hills

Devon hills

Regular
Thanks Tin Pot, but I'm looking for something for the coming winter months, that will go over a couple of base layers and is very light in weight.

Tin Pot

Guru
Thanks Tin Pot, but I'm looking for something for the coming winter months, that will go over a couple of base layers and is very light in weight.

Apologies not a jacket as requested :smile:

I was going for Castelli Alpha jacket last year but found this gave enough waterproofing over a Puro 2 jersey, over a Espresso base layer also got me down to 2°C fine, and very breathable.

The key, I think, is to get water resistance and breathability on the back, wind resistance on the chest.

GL

Jason

Endura FS260 works for me

have one of these. Very thin with some vents. Wear a base layer, long or short sleeves jersey as required for warmth and the rain jacket for wet weather or if the wind is chilling me out. It doesn't quite fold up small enough to fit into a jersey pocket,but I can scrunch it up into the spare water bottle holder.

They all boil in the bag, eventually, if you're riding long enough. You might avoid it riding slowly on short journeys but otherwise you'll end up wet with rain or with sweat and what matters in both cases is to stay warm by wearing the correct materials underneath (no cotton).

I currently have a Gore gore-tex jacket. It's a superb jacket but I still get wet in it but it does keep me warm. Is it waterproof then I hear you ask. Yes it is. Driving rain eventually penetrates the zip flaps if the wind is from my right. Likewise, if it wets out and they all wet out eventually, the breathability goes right down and I end up damp all over from perspiration. I don't think there's any avoiding this.

So based on my preferences, I'd recommend the Gore range, something like this, with the above caveats and I'd also take a look at the latest wet weather jerseys, a kind of hybrid approach to rainwear.

Edit: Currently on sale at Wiggle

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Similar to @Tin Pot i was looking at the Castelli Alpha Jacket, but managed to get the Alpha Jersey very recently. Only difference being that the back is breathable rather than Windstopper, which is perfect as I run hot.

Absolutely amazing piece of kit. Used up to 15 degrees and only as low as 8 degrees but in heavy wind, and it’s been great. Sweat from riding, rather than overheating, based on not feeling uncomfortable like I do in a proper waterproof jacket.

As mentioned already, it’s better to get water resistance over waterproofing, in my opinion, as it’s a lot more comfortable.

jayonabike