any Roy Thame experts on here...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
hopefully picking up a Roy Thame racer at the weekend , unsure of age etc at this time and no pics yet either just trying to find out if anybody other members know anythink about him and his bikes.

i now how he worked for Holdsworth at some point , but info is short on bikes carrying his name .

will post more facts once bike collected and previous owner tells me more info

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
bike being collected 2moro

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I guess you've found this already.

I don't know anything more, some of the older members of Hemel CC would know something- simply join and hang out at the clubhouse every monday.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hopefully picking up a Roy Thame racer at the weekend , unsure of age etc at this time and no pics yet either just trying to find out if anybody other members know anythink about him and his bikes.

i now how he worked for Holdsworth at some point , but info is short on bikes carrying his name .

will post more facts once bike collected and previous owner tells me more info
my brother had a Roy Thame bike made for him in about 1973. It was a 28 inch frame with a strenghening bar parallel to the cross bar - but it failed as a frame because it was too flexible.

He did work for Holdsworth, and went independent. His frames had a decent rep in South London (then the world's capital for framemakers) but whether this was founded on anything real I've no idea.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well bike collected today looks nice but i think will end needing a re paint as looks like a lot a paint defects lurking under years of dirt and dust .

not sure if and when this will get done !

thame1.jpg thame2.jpg thame3.jpg

In 1981 I bike toured the UK and stopped into Roy's bike shop in London. After a brief conversation with Roy I bought a frame which he declined to say who made, other than it was an Italian frame builder who made it with an English threaded bottom bracket. Later, a US frame builder looked at it and said he was almost certain the Italian builder was CIOCC. About 3 years ago I did a cold set on the frame and had it sand blasted and powder coated, then moved Utlegra 9 speed over to it. I probably have about 7 or 8k miles on it since. He did some unusual things for back in those days, for one, the frame I bought looked to have brass plated fork and rear stays. I think he died back in 2006.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Casaldelacruz based on the 3 pictures and info you show above , it's hard to say in all honesty .

Based on the current market i would say £150 is on the high side but then it does look clean

Have you tried it ?

Does it fit you ?

Is a single front chainring set up going to suit your riding ?

Where is the seller based ? As there might be a cycle chat member who could help you if you were unsure re what to look for

But they are a good brand and have a good following

Casaldelacruz

@Casaldelacruz based on the 3 pictures and info you show above , it's hard to say in all honesty .

Based on the current market i would say £150 is on the high side but then it does look clean

Have you tried it ?

Does it fit you ?

Is a single front chainring set up going to suit your riding ?

Where is the seller based ? As there might be a cycle chat member who could help you if you were unsure re what to look for

But they are a good brand and have a good following

Thank you Byggs, I bought it for £100.
Actually that’s why I liked it, because the frame is 60cm and fits me very well. (I’m 190cm tall)
It works great and it’s very fast, I will upgrade the chain set in the future. I think is a good bike and will be fun to restore it.

Thanks again Biggs

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Casaldelacruz whatever you please do not repaint it , in my mind patina is good
That's a fair price as well
Do your self a favour and remove that stand and check the tubes for any damage
Depending upon your local routes you might not need to replace the chainset
Just enjoy and keep us posted

carpenter

Über Member
More photographs would be lovely - from the ones that you have posted, it looks like you have bought a good bike.
Welcome to the forum.

Top Bottom