Any runners here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

darkstar said:
I used to run often, still run the odd marathon (try to do 2 per year)...

I think that still counts as 'often' now, assuming you're doing the required training for each one. It's quite a commitment to properly train for a marathon.

jimheaney57

I only really started cycling as I was injured and couldn't run.

After getting myself custom made orthotics and changing to using Newton running shoes I'm now able to run again. I also do a lot of swimming and do the odd triathlon.

I am convinced that mixing these forms of exercise really helps in avoiding injuries. I am running better than I ever did and I've no doubt the mixing of activities has made me a stronger runner.

My PB for a marathon is 3 hours 52 minutes. I'm running the Belfast City Marathon on the May Day Bank Holiday. Last Saturday I did 22 miles in 3 hours 35 seconds, so if I can keep that pace up for another 4.2 miles I'm on target to knock at least 20 minutes off my best time.

darkstar

kendalcottages said:
I think that still counts as 'often' now, assuming you're doing the required training for each one. It's quite a commitment to properly train for a marathon.
Hmm well i suppose it can be considered as often, but i generally train for about 6 weeks before a marathon and run 3:30. I still haven't run a sub 3 hour marathon yet which will spur me on the get back into it, that will need a good few months of training. I need an operation on my ankle though which is pushing me away from the sport.

dragon72

Guru
I run for fitness, about 35 miles a week.

Cycling for fitness is too time-consuming for the same fitness-level.

Come to think of it, I only ever cycle as a means of getting somewhere (ie to and from work and the shops and the pub and friends and everywhere else in town - as I don't have a car). I also cycle-tour for my holidays.

To be frank, I actually find cycling itself a bit boring, but it gets me places cheaply and at the right speed.

Top Bottom