Any runners here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kendalcottages

I'm more of a runner than a cyclist (and not a very good one at that, too :smile:). A lot of my friends are more into cycling - some of them very fit... yet none of them seem to run.

Similarly, people I know who run don't seem to cycle (bar the few I know who are into triathlons).

Anyone else here run much as well as cycle? Why is it, do you think, that the two don't seem to mix much? Different muscles? Not enough hours in the day?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Scenery changes too slowly when you run. I get bored easily!!

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

BrumJim said:
Scenery changes too slowly when you run. I get bored easily!!

That depends how fast you are... :biggrin:

Counter argument to that would be that you get more chance to enjoy what you see, instead of it all flashing past. :smile:

Plax

Guru
I used to run a lot but that fizzled out when I started getting dodgy knees, so I switched to cycling instead. I prefer cycling as I personally find it more interesting and serves more of a purpose than running (saves money getting you from A to B whilst also helping you get fit with minimum long term damage to various parts of your anatomy).

I still occassionally go out running, but I'm a bit of a fair weather runner and still think I can go out and run the same amount of milage that I used to and really suffer for it the next day (or several days afterwards usually having great difficulty going up and down stairs).

A colleague of mine regularly runs and cycles. In fact she also swims and usually enters loads of different triathalons. I think unless you are a triathlete you don't tend to bother doing both seriously. It's usually one with the occassional dabble in the other (certianly that's what I've noticed anyway).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I used to be a long distance runner but it helped to screw up my hips so I took up cycling which is a lot easier on my joints.
It's addictive and I cycle whenever I can now and touring holidays have changed my life!

cnb

Veteran
I used to run quite a lot (sunderland harriers).. and most of my joggy mates never biked even when injured..I found that cycling helped and stopped me over training.Although i never did too many miles on the bike it was just leisure rides. Now i'm a little older i find that i can't put the running miles in without getting injured so the bikes get used more.. I've done a fair bit of touring though and love it...

Arch

Married to Night Train
kendalcottages said:
That depends how fast you are... :biggrin:

Counter argument to that would be that you get more chance to enjoy what you see, instead of it all flashing past. :smile:

Scenery doesn't tend to 'flash past' when I cycle. Especially uphill!

ASC1951

Guru
kendalcottages said:
Anyone else here run much as well as cycle? Why is it, do you think, that the two don't seem to mix much? Different muscles? Not enough hours in the day?
Depends what you call 'much'. I run about 375 miles a year, but swim about a tenth of that and cycle more than ten times as much.

I find it useful to mix the exercise, although I have always found swimming and running pretty tedious. Cycling is the only bit I actually enjoy.

darkstar

I used to run often, still run the odd marathon (try to do 2 per year) but I'm only 21 and my left ankle needs some work. Cycling is my exercise of choice with swimming :biggrin:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm a runner, although not as much as I was. I prefer running for exercise. It's good for getting fit, but bad for getting injuries.

I run 500 miles a year and cycle about 2,000 miles. For 6 months of the year it's almost impossible for me to ride a bike in Canada because of the snow, ice and potholes but if the pavements have been ploughed I can run for most of the year. This winter has been mild and my coldest run was at minus 12.

There have been plenty of threads discussing why running seems to take so much more out of you than cycling. Most agree it's the incredible effort of raising the body momentarily off the ground with each stride. For me a half marathon leaves me similarly exhausted to a 100 mile bike ride. I run at about 6.8mph average and cycle at 16mph average. My heart rate goes and stays higher running.

I'm probably in a minority on here but I guess I spend a similar amount of time running and cycling. I just have to adapt to the temperature, the snow and whether the roads are passable!

Top Bottom