Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No worries
Reading something always leaves it open for misinterpretation
Last night, for example, l 'laterne-rouged' the club run, as it was unfamiliar to a couple of the girls, & no (lady, or new) runner gets left behind

With regard to the 'Trunce', it was the same situation, someone did go off course in race 2, she"d lost sight of the group in front, & went straight on at a junction

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Actually, I find that patronising. If you are fast enough to beat me, then beat me. If you're not, then I'll beat you. I'm not going to choose not to pass you in the last part of a race because I want to be nice to little old men.
(If I have totally misunderstood your post, then I apologise.)
Fair comment. But not every runner runs every race to finish in the fastest time possible. I may well be fast enough to beat "you" on a given day but I may not be interested in beating you. I might be running intervals, I might just be training,

So you could say I have mixed feelings tbh. When running 5k and 10k I find I have a good turn of speed, and extra gear, compared with others, over the last 800m and especially over the last 200m, where I seem to have a sprint in my pocket. "Thought I'd seen the last of you" is often said to me. But every race isn't a race, oftentimes a race is just a run with a number on, and then, finishing in umpteenth place vs umpteenth minus one, or minus 10, doesn't matter enough to me to want to beat folk who have given their all over the previous 4.2/9.2k.

In the case of the race I mentioned my goal was get round in a certain time, uninjured and enjoy it. Goals were all achieved, before the cricket field, I was always going to finish umpteenth, so why bother trying to beat those others? Wasn't my goal. On another day... passing everyone who passes me in the last 1km may well be the goal, or run the final 1km as fast as possible, or hit a certain age grade %, in which case... game on!

At parkrun I love pacing. I volunteer for 30 or 25 mins but my PB is minutes quicker.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Actually, I find that patronising. If you are fast enough to beat me, then beat me. If you're not, then I'll beat you. I'm not going to choose not to pass you in the last part of a race because I want to be nice to little old men.

I'm with you in principle - I wouldn't ever let anyone finish ahead of me just out of some misguided act of gentlemanliness, which would indeed be patronising, but I often make a decision to let people finish ahead of me if it seems right at the time.

At last week's parkrun, I could have pushed on and dropped my running companion but it was more rewarding for me (and hopefully to her too) to moderate my pace and help her towards a new PB. In fact, I did drop her in the last 200m, but that actually motivated her to give it everything in her final sprint and she almost caught me by the line.

On other occasions, especially when sprinting against kids, I've held off slightly to give my 'rival' the satisfaction of 'winning' when it clearly means more to them than it does to me - but that's with the intention of hopefully giving them a confidence boost.

Anyone got recommendations for online running shops? I'm feeling the need to waste money.

Also, recommendations for decent running socks would be appreciated - advice along the lines of "don't bother" also welcome if it's pointless and there's no benefit.

Depends on what you want, Marmion

If you just want basic, but good quality, or a 'name'

Sportshoes, used to have a shop in the centre of Bradford, but that closed
https://www.sportsshoes.com/
However, be prepared to 'filter' to find what you want
Yes, they have bargains, I've bought Inov-8 fell-shoes from there, for £40, that been retailing at £100

For more basic items, try; http://www.rundirect.co.uk/ I sometimes see them at fell-races, & for the price it's good

What about Decathlon too????

ParkRun # 98 @ Nostell Priory today

I'd gone feeling reasonably positive, but not overly confident
Just settled into a steady pace, knowing that I could go a bit faster than last time I was there (@ 96)

26th/200 @ 23:43

It was slightly funny in a connections way;
1. A first time attendee, but she's a good runner, who followed me home, is a Consultant Cardiologist at the same Hospital as me, I know her to talk to
2. Said Cardiologist performed a Stent procedure to Pat, last year, who was acting as Race Director
3. Another few places back was a MidWife, again, from the same Hospital (she's fairly good runner, & also in Wakefield Triathlon Club)
4. A top-10 place was taken by one of the Trusts Medical Photographers

Also, recommendations for decent running socks would be appreciated - advice along the lines of "don't bother" also welcome if it's pointless and there's no benefit.
I just use the same socks, I would for riding
That said, sometimes I'll wear some of my 'SockGuy' products, the Hot-Rod flames go down very well!
http://www.sockguy.com/ProductInfo/SGFIRBX.aspx

Although, I do wear a pair of the Planet X 'Lion of Flanders' socks, at the Trunce, as my chosen shoes (Inov-8 'X-Talon 212') are a bit small, so I can only use thin socks
Think I've got the same socks on, in the picture at the top of this page?

Last edited:

Stephenite

Membå
Regarding shoes @Marmion you're better off trying them on before buying. The sizing can be all over the place. I've got two pairs of good running shoes - Asics in size 46 and Altra in size 47.5!

Regarding shoes @Marmion you're better off trying them on before buying. The sizing can be all over the place. I've got two pairs of good running shoes - Asics in size 46 and Altra in size 47.5!
Shoes are sorted, picked up a pair from Wiggle a few weeks ago in their sale and they seem to do the job. Certainly a bit more suited to the job than my previous footwear.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Also, recommendations for decent running socks would be appreciated

A friend of mine swears by Hilly TwinSkin socks. The dual layers of fabric are supposed to prevent the rubbing that causes blisters. However, I find they don't work for me - in fact, I get more blisters with them than with other socks. But they are very popular so maybe that's just me.

I find running in cycling socks to be a good way to wear them out very quickly.

LetMeEatCake

A friend of mine swears by Hilly TwinSkin socks
I like them! I tend to blister with single skinned socks and the twin skins went some way to sorting the problem for me. I have noticed though that I need to be pretty thorough about getting them on wrinkle free (which isn't as easy as it sounds as I'm often moist of foot before I even start exercising...)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anyone got recommendations for online running shops? I'm feeling the need to waste money.

tribesports make nice stuff but a very limited range. I find a river in south America to be the best source of discounted running shoes.

Socks. I use more mile ones. Unless I feel the need to keep my toes separate.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
First in age group on Saturday, never had that before, though I've been second several times.

Sunday's 13km run ended up at 10km when my head went. Managed to get a PB on a strava segment in the last km though so all was not lost.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
The Kirkintilloch 10k race this evening. Finished in 44.39 with a pulled calf muscle. Another number and medal for my wee collection.

IMG_20160616_224556412.jpg

Top Bottom