Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Richard A Thackeray

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Run to work on Wednesday
In the heavy-ish rain, & a slight wind, coupled with quite a cool day

Arrived at 10:55, after a decent cross-country (old colliery access road - now farm-road/woodland/river-bank) & last mile or so, on the road

In that short distance, I'd managed to skin both nipples:wacko:

I'm not sure what was worse, the cotton shirt rubbing on them all day, or putting a damp t-shirt back on, for the run back home............

That said, it's only the second time in 9 years that I've done it

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I rub some chamois cream on them before running. Hot shower is no fun with skint studs.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Managed, easily, to bang out 13km on Weds night. The head is a funny old thing. 9km this morning. Got another 7km to do this afternoon. Forcing myself to run slow, a la 80/20, is a fascinating challenge, but with the step up in weekly mileage I'll be doing from now and October when my back-to-back four weekends of HM's rock up, slow is the only way to go.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A friend of mine swears by Hilly TwinSkin socks. The dual layers of fabric are supposed to prevent the rubbing that causes blisters. However, I find they don't work for me - in fact, I get more blisters with them than with other socks. But they are very popular so maybe that's just me.

I find running in cycling socks to be a good way to wear them out very quickly.
I wore something similar on the SDW80 more than a few years back and ended up with the worst blisters I'd ever had. I wrote to them and they offered to send me another pair as a gesture. You can probably guess my response...

Stephenite

Membå
I wore something similar on the SDW80 more than a few years back and ended up with the worst blisters I'd ever had. I wrote to them and they offered to send me another pair as a gesture. You can probably guess my response...
I've had to Google SDW80 and all I get is a Hotpoint dishwasher. What on earth are you doing with the dishwasher to get blisters?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
When my text comes through I'm going to be annoyed, but I'd rather a nice chat with a fellow parkrunner than a minute quicker and a top ten finish I guess. 15th ain't too shabby anyway. Boston parkrun since you ask.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've had to Google SDW80 and all I get is a Hotpoint dishwasher. What on earth are you doing with the dishwasher to get blisters?
Ha!
It felt like going through the wringer for sure. It was an 80 mile off road event on the South Downs Way. In its day it was a hugely popular event with some racing it, and some joig/walking it over a couple of days.
@User14044 did it a number of times too.
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/80-mile-south-downs-way-run/40989.html

Your question has prompted me to google it and I came up with a youtube video someone made and I've just found myself being interviewed in it! Never knew it existed but it was in 1997 and I think I failed to finish that year.
I'm in the one in the middle at 4m12s if anyone cares!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsNR8FhuWNI

Stephenite

Membå
Excellent. I'll have a look at that this evening.

I'm developing a taste for the longer trail distances. You two chaps @rich p and @User14044 are my role models :notworthy:

:tongue:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That's happening today, as it happens. I'm keeping an eye on a clubmate who is bidding to be the oldest woman to finish the race.
My O/H has done a lot of ultras; there's a whole series of them in Scotland from 33 miles upwards.
The only year I did it - it's a bit of a flog from Brighton to Milngavie - it rained constantly and heavily for the whole 18 hours. Despite the bleak beauty of the route, Loch Lomond, Rannoch Moor etc, it was possibly the most miserable experience I've ever had...
...and believe me, I've suffered...^_^

flatflr

Guru
Off road half marathon done today over the Ridgeway (Ridgeway Revenge) very hard work running down tractor tracks and felt like it was all up hill with no downs. A slow 2:04 time but not bad considering the terrain. All training for my first trail marathon in July.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's me in the fluorescent jacket with a rucksack walking past the camera at 2:59 :smile:

I had a shocker that year, taking nearly 20 hrs. My best time was 16 hrs 20 in 1989. So, I'm a bit off your pace, Rich :smile:
One of my colleagues is running the South Downs way next Saturday - on his own.

He's absolutely mad.

Top Bottom