Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Recently opened an old memory card that was sitting in the drawer. I was looking for photo's of a good friend who recently passed away. This photo took me back, it was taken outside the Tudor Rose in Old Coulsden. It was one of the few events that took place on a Saturday afternoon, the other being the IOW Marathon. Both races organised by " Harriers " in this case South London Harriers, and the IOW was organised by Ryde Harriers. This reflects a time when people worked throughout the week plus Saturday mornings. With Sunday being a day of worship and rest, Saturdays were the only opportunity to organise races.
The race started in the Pub car park at 2pm when the pub closed. The Pub reopened at 6:00pm as was usual back before the reform of licensing laws.

View attachment 677439

What club was that?!

Tenkaykev

Guru
What club was that?!

Sorry, not sure which club you're referring to?
The " SLH 30 " was a 30 ( and a bit ) road race that started in the car park of the Tudor Rose in Old Coulsden on the outskirts of London. It was a four x 7.5 mile lap course so each lap took you past the pub. In those days pubs used to close between 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm so if it took you longer than four hours you needed to be aware of the vehicles cutting across you and in to the pub. I can recall the local Parish Priest being the timekeeper, he sat in the car park recording each lap.
A few years ago I was volunteering at Poole parrun. There was a team of visitors from SLH running club. I mentioned to the team captain how much I had enjoyed racing the SLH 30, he gave me a blank look and said " never heard of it mate " 😮

Jameshow

Veteran
Sorry, not sure which club you're referring to?
The " SLH 30 " was a 30 ( and a bit ) road race that started in the car park of the Tudor Rose in Old Coulsden on the outskirts of London. It was a four x 7.5 mile lap course so each lap took you past the pub. In those days pubs used to close between 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm so if it took you longer than four hours you needed to be aware of the vehicles cutting across you and in to the pub. I can recall the local Parish Priest being the timekeeper, he sat in the car park recording each lap.
A few years ago I was volunteering at Poole parrun. There was a team of visitors from SLH running club. I mentioned to the team captain how much I had enjoyed racing the SLH 30, he gave me a blank look and said " never heard of it mate " 😮

If I'd engaged brain it was south London harriers!!

stephec

Legendary Member
Whether it's 5°C, or 25°C, it's proper shorts every time. 😅

Attachments

• SP__6125.jpg
    SP__6125.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 317632592_10167042761665094_2427636045513201220_n.jpg
    317632592_10167042761665094_2427636045513201220_n.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 4

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Up to the stone circle on 2 sausages!!

8 miles first big run for me! 18months old lab.
View attachment 677765

He’s (?) a good looking ‘bruiser’ !

I’d love an outdoor dog / companion. Working schedules in the family would be unfair right now unfortunately….

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Does anybody have any recovery tips? My running times have sped up slightly this year but at the expense of longer recovery times.

Chocolate milk is excellent post run and at least as effective if not more so than the various " recovery drinks " that are marketed. Don't stop when you've finished your run. Jog / walk for several minutes to let your system gradually adjust. There's an excellent podcast from the BBC called " Sliced Bread " iirc. They cover various topics that listeners propose. One was about running shoes / compression wear / Magnesium bath salts. They consult the leading experts in the relevant fields, quite an eye opener.
If you're really keen, run a cold bath and chuck in a few bags of ice cubes before climbing in. 😉😁

Top Bottom