Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
The less said about yesterday's Parkrun the better.

First time I had done the "alternative course" and not my cup of tea.

The course I had done previously is 90% tarmac, 10% cross country. Today's was circa 65/35 and some of the wet mud was nigh on impossible to run through causing "traffic jams" where people had to stop.

The up side, a six second improvement on last week's time.

Our winter course is similar in that it has 3 90° muddy corners where as the summer course it has a 180 corner at the far end .

Going to run to my sister's today 7 miles each way.

Chislenko

Veteran
Our winter course is similar in that it has 3 90° muddy corners where as the summer course it has a 180 corner at the far end .

Going to run to my sister's today 7 miles each way.

We are dog sitting at the moment so a leisurely dog walk will be all the exercise I do today! Good luck with your 14 miles.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I know. It’s Catch 22. It’s not comfortable running when overweight, but I won’t lose much unless I do. I will just need to take it nice and easy at first.

I’ve just been (am currently ?) there too.

More office time. Stress and generally busy at work over winter made me tired and lethargic. I was the heaviest I’d ever been. I’m a big / tall guy….and I hid it reasonably well. Doesn’t stop the fact I was still carrying it around……

So Jan 1st I started pushing myself to get out more and exercise. Usually 5-6am starts. Means it’s ‘done’ - and because of the effort to do that - means I have something to ‘protect’ and am then far less likely to eat rubbish during the day.

20 miles so far this weekend in 3 stints. And I reckon nearly 2 stone gone altogether. And I feel so much better about myself.

Good luck and get amongst it !!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Over did things last week which resulted in a pulled calf muscle🥲 I stopped running immediately and have been icing it and taking ibuprofen, so hopefully won’t be too long a recovery 🤞
I went down and watched my local parkrun yesterday morning. I spoke to one of the volunteers who I'd not seen for quite a while. She took part in one of the local events put on by White Star Running. They're all off road around farms / trails with an emphasis on having fun and enjoying the outdoors. She had entered a 12 hour event, 5 mile laps around trails and footpaths and only a little bit hilly, just to see how far she could get. You don't have to be there for the start as you can turn up anytime and start running, as the numbers are "chipped " and record each lap . To her surprise she managed to complete eight laps for total distance of 40 miles! She is a very keen cyclist and her and her husband are often off cycle camping with their young daughter, so she has that fitness background ( and is tall and skinny as a rake ). She told me that although she felt knackered, she pushed herself out for her final lap and really enjoyed it, to the extent that she's looking for similar events and challenges.

stephec

Legendary Member
I was a bit green with envy watching around a dozen runners from our local club setting off this morning. I need to drop at least a stone and get back into it again.

Are you not even doing the early morning walks?

Jameshow

Veteran
Did the 14 miles no bad tbh.

Will do it again using footpaths rather than road next time.

No roast dinner today so bonus points!
Want to get do to 70kg from 74!!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Recently opened an old memory card that was sitting in the drawer. I was looking for photo's of a good friend who recently passed away. This photo took me back, it was taken outside the Tudor Rose in Old Coulsden. It was one of the few events that took place on a Saturday afternoon, the other being the IOW Marathon. Both races organised by " Harriers " in this case South London Harriers, and the IOW was organised by Ryde Harriers. This reflects a time when people worked throughout the week plus Saturday mornings. With Sunday being a day of worship and rest, Saturdays were the only opportunity to organise races.
The race started in the Pub car park at 2pm when the pub closed. The Pub reopened at 6:00pm as was usual back before the reform of licensing laws.

SLH30 2.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
Recently opened an old memory card that was sitting in the drawer. I was looking for photo's of a good friend who recently passed away. This photo took me back, it was taken outside the Tudor Rose in Old Coulsden. It was one of the few events that took place on a Saturday afternoon, the other being the IOW Marathon. Both races organised by " Harriers " in this case South London Harriers, and the IOW was organised by Ryde Harriers. This reflects a time when people worked throughout the week plus Saturday mornings. With Sunday being a day of worship and rest, Saturdays were the only opportunity to organise races.
The race started in the Pub car park at 2pm when the pub closed. The Pub reopened at 6:00pm as was usual back before the reform of licensing laws.

View attachment 677439

Proper shorts as well, good stuff. 😊

Top Bottom