Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
It's only a half marathon I believe.

16 miles is more than enough.

The last 3 miles will be tough for a newbie but most get through it.

However a base of a minimum of 6 months of endurance milage would really help. I guess many dong the GNR wouldn't want to commit to that but see it as a trophy/charity event.

I should have been clearer, the 16 miler was the long run when Marathon training, not half Marathon which is what puzzled me.

Cirrus

Veteran
I should have been clearer, the 16 miler was the long run when Marathon training, not half Marathon which is what puzzled me.

Does seem slightly short, always thought perceived wisdom was a 20 mile final training run, that said, I did a heart rate based plan a while back and that was all HR zones and time, final long run was 3 hours and a mixture of Z2 and Z3.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Does seem slightly short, always thought perceived wisdom was a 20 mile final training run, that said, I did a heart rate based plan a while back and that was all HR zones and time, final long run was 3 hours and a mixture of Z2 and Z3.
Training for my first marathon in '82 I guesstimated my final long run which was an out and back of about 20 miles. I was so knackered at the end and thought I'd no chance of running the marathon distance. Got round the marathon ok ( Peoples Marathon in Birmingham) and later discovered my training run had been over 24 miles 😮😁

Mburton1993

Über Member
My 2nd Blackpool Run. 9hrs48mins
received_955118109479200.png

2 hours and 26 minutes faster than last year albeit a couple kilometres shorter this time round.
Screenshot_20240331-173458.jpeg

It was certainly hotter than 4c.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Oh no slept in doh.....

Did think of doing MK marathon but had a cold / fever which stopped running this week so that and the £60 entry has put paid to it..

Yes, some of the entry fees are a bit eye watering! We had a club member who was " very careful " with his money, we used to tease him about this. One year I worked out quite a few race costs, broke them down into pence per mile and presented it to him 😁 ( the cheapest was the " Dorset Doddle " organised by the LDWA and open to runners ) It starts at the Clock on the Prom in Weymouth and follows the SWCP to finish at the clock in Swanage, it was £6 for 32 miles and you got a meal at the finish😎 A tad lumpy though, and if you go off course there's the risk of unexploded ordinance from the ranges at Lulworth 😁

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes, some of the entry fees are a bit eye watering! We had a club member who was " very careful " with his money, we used to tease him about this. One year I worked out quite a few race costs, broke them down into pence per mile and presented it to him 😁 ( the cheapest was the " Dorset Doddle " organised by the LDWA and open to runners ) It starts at the Clock on the Prom in Weymouth and follows the SWCP to finish at the clock in Swanage, it was £6 for 32 miles and you got a meal at the finish😎 A tad lumpy though, and if you go off course there's the risk of unexploded ordinance from the ranges at Lulworth 😁

Do share that would be of interest!

Started off well in Manchester Marathon today giving some leeway for my target time. Unfortunately the weather was better than expected and the sun came out as we headed out towards Timperlay, and into a bit of a headwind that didn’t offer much cooling effect. Heat is my nemesis in distance running and my pace began to drop as a result. Ended in 3 minutes outside of my target.

Jameshow

Veteran
Started off well in Manchester Marathon today giving some leeway for my target time. Unfortunately the weather was better than expected and the sun came out as we headed out towards Timperlay, and into a bit of a headwind that didn’t offer much cooling effect. Heat is my nemesis in distance running and my pace began to drop as a result. Ended in 3 minutes outside of my target.

My son did the same at Prague HM was hoping for at least 1.45 but the heat (22°) got too him and came in at 2.03 looked shattered!

First long race so upwards and onwards... If he doesn't do something else instead;

Top Bottom