Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:smile: It's the only way to go. I have an aversion to tarmac due to it being a bit too hard for my poor aging feet.
I know the feeling, a good soft course is great!!

2012. Auld Lang Syne. 11.jpg

Is there an equivilant of our http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/ in Norway?

A period of working a long way from home put paid to the initial idea of a springtime marathon, but I've had second thoughts and had a good winter of running (only the second). It'd be my first marathon either way.

I'm regularly running down to Cheddar and back on the Strawberry Line as I did last Saturday and the Sunday before...long trips but definitely getting faster and lovin' it. Ran 350 km since Xmas.

(Also, without tempting fate - touch wood - I seem to be generally hardening the F up. I don't seem to get the same knee trouble as I had and whilst the shin-splints seem ever present, I'm finding that 2 (maximum 3) runs a week works best. Any advice on shin-splints though would be warmly welcomed).

Last edited:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
As the wife decided to go shopping with my SPD shoes in the back of the car I decided to go for a run. I was quite happy with 11.5km in just over an hour as I am not a regular runner.

Next time though I'll not be wearing a baselayer under my mizuno LS top and I nearly boiled myself

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Did my first parkrun yesterday in Falkirk. A respectable 31.15, not bad for a 42 yr old that couldn't run worth a damn in January. It was also the last run of the NHS couch to 5k programme. Mibbe an easy duathlon next.
10k first ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Made a TERRIBLE mistake. Had a session, the first of several, with a personal trainer.

Glutes, hammies and core I said.
Glutes, hammies and core he nodded, and handed me at kettle bell.

That was Monday. I still have the worst DOMS in the last 20 years...
Hoping the second session, which I've just finished, doesn't leave me shuffling like an old man for three days like last week's.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Did my first parkrun yesterday in Falkirk. A respectable 31.15, not bad for a 42 yr old that couldn't run worth a damn in January. It was also the last run of the NHS couch to 5k programme. Mibbe an easy duathlon next.
I've been doing this religiously and got up to where the runs increased to 25 minutes solid running and found the pain in my knees the day after prevented me from doing the next run so now I'm having to leave a few more days between each one - still enjoying it though as I'm a fat bloke who never thought he could run to save his life, and Lauras voice is quite soothing to listen to.

Pacer weekend at parkrun. I volunteered for 29 mins. 18 PB's either side of me. A very worthwhile Saturday morning's effort. Being thanked by some of the elated PB-ers afterwards, especially those I egged on over the last 1km, was humbling. :blush:
I considered offering to be the '24' & taking it a bit easier, but at this stage in 'my comeback', I'm not sure I can hold a constant pace

As the wife decided to go shopping with my SPD shoes in the back of the car I decided to go for a run. I was quite happy with 11.5km in just over an hour as I am not a regular runner
That's still not to be sneezed at, I know quite a few who would be pleased with an hours 10K - they may do that, with the 'pressure' (adrenalin?) of something competative

Next time though I'll not be wearing a baselayer under my mizuno LS top and I nearly boiled myself
Yes, it's even more awkward to judge than on the bike

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I considered offering to be the '24' & taking it a bit easier, but at this stage in 'my comeback', I'm not sure I can hold a constant pace
I was offered 25 by the run director who knows my capabilities. But I like 29. It's a piece of cake to run at and there's something about dragging them round under 30 minutes that means 29 & 30 gets the biggest gaggle of chasers at ours. Going under 30 seems to be a huge psychological barrier for many fun runners, especially the female ones. I was a bit naughty as I finished in 28:22, deliberately running about 5 secs per km faster than needed, no one complained, especially those who passed me in the last km and got PB's under 28:00!

And I do cheat. I set the pace using the virtual partner on my Garmin and then have two minute repeat alarms on it to remind me to look at the watch and slow down accordingly.

We had one huge laugh though. The 27 minute pacer, started behind me, blasted past, and overtook the 25-er inside the first 2km and tore the legs of some of his chasers in the process before slowing down. One of these is a parkrun nodding acquaintance and when I caught her walking I said "Nnnnnnnn, get running. I want you 100 yards in front of me by the triffid*" and off she went, casting a dark as daggers look at me over her shoulder. She PB'd at 28:01 and with her thinking her goal of anything beginning with 28 was gone; I got a huge hug, and a lovely message on Facebook.

*ugly metal sculpture which has had three locations within the town but keeps moving...
8135758249_31b30ccc9a_h.jpg

33.2 km down the Strawberry Line to Cheddar yesterday and back and yep, the heat hurt. Made the mistake of opening the front door before I left and thinking, 'ah, wind, cold wind' and put on the base layer I'd been wearing in both January and February...not good but I survived. Came in 3h 09'.

095819_bb376822.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
33.2 km down the Strawberry Line to Cheddar yesterday and back and yep, the heat hurt. Made the mistake of opening the front door before I left and thinking, 'ah, wind, cold wind' and put on the base layer I'd been wearing in both January and February...not good but I survived. Came in 3h 09'.

095819_bb376822.jpg
That looks more than a little windswept.

Top Bottom