Any Saab owners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian A

Über Member
I used to have a SAAB 93 I bought for £500. Only failed it's first MOT in my possession on a faulty hazard warning switch which I hadn't used so didn't know about. Had it for three years and the only trouble I had was the clutch going. That was an expensive repair but the only real outgoing in three years so didn't mind too much. The saloon would fit a folding wheelchair in the boot easily and have space for other things. I'd still have it but we had to get a modified van for the wheelchair user in our family as we are a five person family and need to use an electric wheelchair now. We had to pay 5K up front for a motability van and I can only use it for the benefit of the disabled person too :sad:. We couldn't afford to buy a modified van outright when we needed it as we had to pay to modify the house as at the same time and also buy an electric wheelchair :ohmy:. Motability seemed like the best option to spread the cost. We'll buy the next one when the lease runs out and we'll be able to use it for anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I can only use it for the benefit of the disabled person too :sad:.
that is actually very useful to know because first and foremost the car is for my husband's use for work and we need cat 1 business insurance. Makes me feel a touch better that does.
We have a saloon with a large boot currently and whilst the wheelchair goes in easily it is things like my recumbent trike we are thinking about - it is a folding trike and can go quite small, but by the time you have included the wheelchair and the special wedges I need to use to sleep with at night, plus the U shaped pillow I also need... there is little room in the boot or back seats for anything else in the saloon and I still need to be able to recline the passenger seat so that I can take the weight off my spine which is not yet weight bearing for any length of time!

I suspect we are going to end up with a Merc but we will see.

thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
mondeo estates are good barges. Cheap to buy, and mend, reliable as anything else by and large. And despite being uninspiring at one level are rather nice to drive - quite a lot nicer than some flashier cars such as bmw 320d or volvo v50 for instance. The x type jag, based somewhat on the mondeo can also very cheap. Never driven the jag version, which might or might not be as good as the base car, but know a couple of happy owners - one buying new and other at banger price

Salar

A fish out of water
I test drove a used X type Jag estate a few months ago, drove fine, but i was surprised as to how small the drivers cabin area was and the rear view mirror was slap bang in your face.

But the boot was nice and the car had some nice clever touches, just a bit too small in the front for me, apart from that very nice..

screenman

Legendary Member
I've a saab 95 2.2 diesel at the moment,its ok but wouldn't really have another.Probally cause I've had loads of saabs ! Same as a( vaxhaul vectra engine)
If i was going after a estate id go for a Honda accord touring first,every luxury going and a fantastic engine,second id go for the bmw touring 320 diesel.Both pretty bombproof,in fact I'm looking for another accord at moment.Sick of electric faults and engines lights on saab !

Go careful with that Accord, not as reliable as some would make you think, nice car to drive though. Keep that engine oil level topped up, and watch out for those drive shafts.

screenman

Legendary Member
mondeo estates are good barges. Cheap to buy, and mend, reliable as anything else by and large. And despite being uninspiring at one level are rather nice to drive - quite a lot nicer than some flashier cars such as bmw 320d or volvo v50 for instance. The x type jag, based somewhat on the mondeo can also very cheap. Never driven the jag version, which might or might not be as good as the base car, but know a couple of happy owners - one buying new and other at banger price

I hate the way a Mondeo drives, maybe not so the new one's but the over 5 years are, well I work on far to many of them and even getting in and moving the things is horrible. Just my humble opinion of course.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I hate the way a Mondeo drives, maybe not so the new one's but the over 5 years are, well I work on far to many of them and even getting in and moving the things is horrible. Just my humble opinion of course.
I'm not a huge fan of them either tbh. :blush:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Had mine for 3 years from new but it was a long while ago. Must be nearly 15 years ago it went back so newer ones might not be as good for all I know. Was a pretty basic un-luxurious car but (slightly) nicer to drive than the Golf GTI I had next - though that was nicer in lots of other ways - comfort, poshness and going like stink for instance.

By "nice to drive" I'm meaning an intangible feel and rewarding experience, not particularly comfort or performance. Not everyone values this, so it's a personal thing - otherwise no one would buy some quite posh cars which I've found horrid.

screenman

Legendary Member
I tend to drive about 8 different cars some days, the Ford's never feel like I would want to own one. They also seem to suffer from failure more often when on the MOT ramp. Can get some very big bills with them.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So a merely badge engineered Ford then? ;)

Top Bottom