Any Saab owners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My OH and I are looking for a new (second-hand and old) car. We have pretty specific requirements which make life a little difficult and reduce the number of vehicles available considerably, because of my back issues, wheelchair, recumbent trike etc.

I have found 2 Saabs that look nice. He has ruled them out on the grounds that Saab went bankrupt and that they could now be "difficult to get serviced". Personally I don't agree with this statement because as far as I am concerned someone will have filled the parts market with their own make or other parts will fit, plus there is the scrap yard option nationwide which we have used to fix our current vehicle on one occasion.

So, Saab owners (and Saab owners or mechanics only please), is this true?
Rover owners can answer as well. I have found 2 really nice ones of those which he has also ruled out because the Parkers guide rates them really badly apparently (:wacko:)

thanks

Fubar

Guru
My OH and I are looking for a new (second-hand and old) car. We have pretty specific requirements which make life a little difficult and reduce the number of vehicles available considerably, because of my back issues, wheelchair, recumbent trike etc.

I have found 2 Saabs that look nice. He has ruled them out on the grounds that Saab went bankrupt and that they could now be "difficult to get serviced". Personally I don't agree with this statement because as far as I am concerned someone will have filled the parts market with their own make or other parts will fit, plus there is the scrap yard option nationwide which we have used to fix our current vehicle on one occasion.

So, Saab owners (and Saab owners or mechanics only please), is this true?
Rover owners can answer as well. I have found 2 really nice ones of those which he has also ruled out because the Parkers guide rates them really badly apparently (:wacko:)

thanks

SAAB used to (back in the 80's) have a great reputation, though I have a feeling now they are re-badged Vauxhalls?!? Not to let that put you off, probably means there are plenty garages that could service it.

Rover's on the other hand I wouldn't touch...

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone who can hold a spanner can service a SAAB - metaphorically speaking, they put their trousers on one leg at a time, same as any other car.

Aftermarket parts supply is huge, with on company in particular spending a lot of money to buy the commercial rights to manufacture spares to OE specification.

The only reasons not to buy one is if you don't like it, or of the car itself is dodgy. Parts supply and servicing knowledge won't be a problem in the lifetime of any SAAB you'll ever buy.

though I have a feeling now they are re-badged Vauxhalls?!?

Fortunately, that is not the case.

screenman

Legendary Member
Get a good one and they are great, get a bad one and remortgage the house to keep it going. Rover, well that is one I would not want to own, but that is down to my own preference.

Out of interest how much are you looking to spend and do you want diesel or petrol. I would be maybe looking at an Octavia Estate.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
A Saab enthusiast mate of mine, who has owned several over the years, doesn't seem to have any problems getting his cars serviced or repaired.............however, he informed me that he'd looked into buying one of the last 9-5 models and decided against it. Apparently, certain body panels were unavailable and unlikely to be so.

Broadside

Guru
I've got a P reg Saab 900. Not a lot goes wrong with it, I justt change the oil once every 12000 miles. You can get parts through most Vauxhall dealers or the motor factor places like GSF, Eurocarparts etc.

The ignition switch recently broke on mine and my local independant garage had to order a Saab original switch, there was no issue getting the part but it did take 10 days, not sure where it came from.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sweden. It took 10 days because they get no discount for ordering it VOR and getting it overnight, and even back street Fred in a Sheds are businesses who exist to turn a profit.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My wife is on her(our) fifth SAAB. An old 9-3. Runs forever and the local independent spanner shop fixes it when it goes wrong (Thinks... it never has. Our old 93 went wrong once, and only went when it fialed it's MoT and the repair was going to cost £200 which was bout £150 more than it was then worth) ATS do the MoT and oil changes &c. Plenty of spares out there and lots second-hand, ebay is your friend.

Buy an old but good 'un (which for me means avoiding turbos) and your only problem will be getting bored with it in 10 years time when it refuses to die. Generally very dull cars. Very very dull cars. Dull. Reliable. Cheap to run cars. We love 'em. When I retire to a house with a garage I'll be torn between a Jag XKR or a classic-era SAAB 900.

A wag once said that after the nuclear holocaust when the giant cockroaches that will iinherit the earth get too old and fat to ride their indestructible 90's mtb's they will dust off the remaining SAABs and drive them all for 250,000 mile before chanign the oil and doing it all over again...

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I am about to scrap a Volvo S40, 2000 X Plate. Its only done 128,000 miles. Its black, has some MOT left, Service History, No rust, creamy interior. Would rather sell than scrap but my effort levels are low.

screenman

Legendary Member
It might have sounded like I was not a Saab fan, I am and I must admit I enjoyed repairing them for over 20 years for the local Saab agent. I would certainly own another one and have had loads over the last too many years, none have given me any problems.

A 99 Turbo of which I traded a few was always a nice car.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am about to scrap a Volvo S40, 2000 X Plate. Its only done 128,000 miles. Its black, has some MOT left, Service History, No rust, creamy interior. Would rather sell than scrap but my effort levels are low.

That could be a billy bargain with lots of life left in it.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
SAAB used to (back in the 80's) have a great reputation, though I have a feeling now they are re-badged Vauxhalls?!? Not to let that put you off, probably means there are plenty garages that could service it.

Rover's on the other hand I wouldn't touch...

Are some Saab cars not just rebadged Vauxhall Vectras ?

I always found touching Rovers very inadvisable ................ they usually drop to pieces. I remember about 18 years ago I bought a 2nd hand Rover as a cheap run around and I had to jack the back end up for some reason and as I was jacking it up the rear seat was getting higher & higher :ohmy:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would stay away from a Saab, purely because there are so many other alternatives out there that don't have you worrying about parts and also reliability. Can you list your specific requirements. I assume you don't want anything too low to get into, plus something with lots of storage space for the chair/trike etc. Something like the ultimate load lugger of a Mondeo estate or Octavia estate could be a great alternative.

Top Bottom