Any sensible upgrades available?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

Hi

I purchased a 2nd hand CX bike a couple of years ago, it does what I want and I went 2nd hand because I didn’t know how much I’d use it, I’m just over 1000 miles in and my aim is to increase speed and distance.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/cx-comp-2014

the only upgrade I’ve done is change the tyres to these

https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-clincher-road-tyre-700c-69890.html

I’m averaging 15.2 mph over 40miles with a climb of 1800 ft, I’m looking to improve it and wonder what my options are, I can’t seem to beat those stats.

1) Is this just a case of work on the quad muscles between rides?
2) Due to the weight of the bike am I aiming too high?
3) Are there any upgrades which I could do that would maybe make it lighter or better components

I considered changing the wheels for a couple of reasons but at £300 I’m currently thinking I’d be better putting that towards a different bike

Appreciate your thoughts

Sharky

Guru
Avoid spending on upgrades for the first few years. If you were to fit a super-duper thingy and your avg shoot up to 16mph. Would that be an improvement in fitness?

Best to keep the machine the same and try and get fitter and reach 16mph through effort, not a cheque book.

Once you plateau after a couple of seasons of training, then you can treat yourself to an upgrade.

If you really want to go faster, reduce the distance until you can reach your new target, then gradually increase the distance back to 40miles. Then set yourself a new target and reduce the distance again.

shnjmsn

Über Member

This.......According to the mighty one :okay:

shnjmsn

Über Member
But in all seriousness............ That's not a bad average over that distance with the amount of climbing on a cx bike....... good effort !!! If you're wanting to go faster/further, then I guess you'd be better off putting upgrade readies towards a road bike instead ? :bicycle:

OP
OP
F

fattony

Thanks, it’s pretty much what I expected to hear, I didn’t really want 2 bikes but I want the best of both worlds and can’t have it without a road bike.

Mia there much difference between the CX I’ve got and a aluminium road bike - in my head it would just be weight but I could be wrong?

Thanks, it’s pretty much what I expected to hear, I didn’t really want 2 bikes but I want the best of both worlds and can’t have it without a road bike.

Mia there much difference between the CX I’ve got and a aluminium road bike - in my head it would just be weight but I could be wrong?
There’s a fair difference. Mostly positioning, geometry and gearing related, but a lightweight road bike should be a fair bit lighter as well.

rivers

How far can I go?
Upgrades to the bike might make you a bit faster. However, the only thing guaranteed to make you faster is working on the engine (you). Following a structured training plan will make a massive difference, but it will take some time and it will be painful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got quicker tyres on, so without spending silly money, then not much worth doing. Maybe as things wear out, replace with a better components, just because. Personally, if you've just got the CX bike, use money for a road bike, then put the CX bike back to CX duties.

I once used my old school MTB as a commuter - it was quite fast when I put 1.2" slick tyres on it, but it looked stupid - it was almost as fast as my road bikes. If you can have a bike specific for the job - so CX for the rough stuff, bridleways, tracks etc, then road bike for roads. I've just got Road bikes and mountain bikes. The old MTB will do most stuff a CX bike can, and is a bit more robust, but the full suspension MTB is for the rowdy stuff.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you really want to spend money on worthwhile upgrades for that bike, try these, in a 29 inch.
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/mavic_xa_elite_carbon_mtb_wheelset_2019-ID_76858
You’ll also need these, for the rear wheel.
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Mavic/Rear-Axle-Adapter-9mm-QR/ESAX
and a 15mm to 9mm thru axle adaptor for the front wheel.
Stick some of these on.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/hutchinson-overide-tubeless-folding-gravel-tyre/
and you’ll be flying along in no time.

I am a bit confused why he would want to spend 4 times the value of the bike on wheels and then shod them with slower tyres than he has now. That seems a ridiculous idea.

the snail

Guru
I am a bit confused why he would want to spend 4 times the value of the bike on wheels and then shod them with slower tyres than he has now. That seems a ridiculous idea.
True.
3 things:
15 mph over 40 miles is not bad going really.
1000m over two years isn't that much cycling, I think you should try and get more miles in.
If you are overweight, then losing weight will be better (and a lot cheaper) than buying a lighter bike.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd concur with the others suggesting that you save your money, as well as questioning what you hope to achieve in your riding.

It seems to me that most upgrades offer pretty bloody awful value in terms of the actual performance benefits they bring. You might gain satisfaction from going marginally faster (which is fine), but as others have unless you're competing against others the fact you're going a bit quicker is of no real benefit to you.

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
I asked my trainer the same question nearly 50 years ago. He said without hesitation 'pedals 'n' shoes'. I asked somebody else in the same club about what he said, they said, 'he says that to everyone, and he's always right'.

I did what he said, next time out I broke my pb for a ten mile TT by a minute and a half - just like that.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
What rivers said, perhaps try interval training along with careful diet and good rest, not easy but does take you to a higher level in a short time.

Top Bottom