Any special advice for first use of a mtb..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
I have just purchased a BeOne Spirit Sport (22.5" frame, 26 " wheels) mountain bike. It is due to be delivered shortly.
I am a newbie to the biking world and haven't rode a bike for 15 years. I was aiming for a hybrid but getting this bike for £270 I thought was a very good deal - do you agree?
1) With the components/spec detailed is there anything special I need to bear in mind?
2) It doesn't come with pedals so can anyone recommend a set of pedals (cheap as I don't need anything special) that will fit this bike? (i.e. not sure if different bikes require different sized pedals).
3) Is there any special consideration I need when putting this bike together? I haven't put a bike together before but I'm sure I can manage it?
4) Can anyone suggest some hybrid tyres that will fit these rims? I will be going across bumpy grass-lands but alot will be on the road too, or will the tyres that come with this bike be fine for road use?

Thank you.

vickster

Legendary Member
In no particular order

Ride it and see how you get on with the tyres

Where's it being delivered from? If you have little experience of bikes, get a bike shop to check it all over. There's a cautionary thread running about someone who put a bike together out of the box and came a very big and costly cropper. Although it's not entirely clear what happened as the poster hasn't returned

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/halfords-bike-hell-advice-please.177775/

Flat pedals fine, wellgo are good, about a tenner probably for a simple metal pedal (watch out for your shins though)

Don't fall off, don't ride in the dark without lights, ride defensively on the roads and remember pedestrians have priority on shared paths etc :smile:

Enjoy it :smile:

Cyclist33

its all relative, it rather depends on the size. of the buyer rider.

i would have got some pedals from merlin while getting the bike. wellgo v8 copy will be fine.

great price bike! i have just got something similar spec for 400, best advice is just get out on it and enjoy. and as you went for a mtb over a hybrid in the end, make good on that decision and get the bugger off road!

drummerbod

Very nice.

Ride cautiously, don't get cocky\over confident. One fall, like I just have, and you may end up with a broken collar bone - like me.

There are lots excellent of Youtube videos on how to ride off road.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hi,
I have just purchased a BeOne Spirit Sport (22.5" frame, 26 " wheels) mountain bike. It is due to be delivered shortly.
I am a newbie to the biking world and haven't rode a bike for 15 years. I was aiming for a hybrid but getting this bike for £270 I thought was a very good deal - do you agree?

3) Is there any special consideration I need when putting this bike together? I haven't put a bike together before but I'm sure I can manage it?
4) Can anyone suggest some hybrid tyres that will fit these rims? I will be going across bumpy grass-lands but alot will be on the road too, or will the tyres that come with this bike be fine for road use?
Seems like a good deal for that bike :smile: Though I agree, it's a very large frame! How tall are you? I"m 5'10" and ride a medium (18") frame.

Otherwise, you'll need to check the tightness of all bolts, straighten/attach the handlebars, get the saddle positioned and attach your pedals. Check wheels are firmly attached, check tyre pressures, check gear indexing. If in doubt, get someone who knows to check it out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3UIIz8cVms

He's building a road bike in that video, but the steps will be very much the same.

As for tyres, the ones that come with it will be better for off-road. Give them a try and see how they do, they will be OK on roads too, but a tyre that is often suggested as a good hybrid tyre is the Schwalbe Land Cruiser.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Comes 90%assembled, you'll just need to fit the bars and stem .

Cheap pedals?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/PEOOPE/on-one-platform-pedals

OP
OP
D

dac

"Don't fall off, don't ride in the dark without lights, ride defensively on the roads and remember pedestrians have priority on shared paths etc :smile:"
If you're in Sutton (Cambs) then you may know the Cambridge cyclists don't have this mindset.

As it's been said, I'm 6' 4" and 17 stone. Have done a lot of sports in my time (weights, etc..) so the mass is fairly lean. I feel the frame will be fine but will the suspension be fine carry 17 stone?
1) Those pedals in the above post seem very cheap. When I say I don't require expensive, I mean I don't need flash pedals but I do need them strong enough for my 17 stone (when standing). Will these hold the weight?
2) Yes I believe the bike comes 90% assembled and from Merlins too, but I was wondering if I need to allign things once I receive the bike (i.e. brakes disc, etc..) or should it be good to go once the handle bars are on?
3) Is this a good/secure lock at a good price or are there cheap decent locks out there? I would need a frame bracket for the lock too.

Of course, I will be a safe and sensible rider.

Thank you.

EDIT: added link to the lock in question.

Last edited:
The components are all low-mid-end Shimano (Acera) which is good stuff, strong, reliable, durable.
Does the frame come with threaded eyelets for fixing rack and mudguards?

MikeW-71

Veteran
As it's been said, I'm 6' 4" and 17 stone. Have done a lot of sports in my time (weights, etc..) so the mass is fairly lean. I feel the frame will be fine but will the suspension be fine carry 17 stone?
1) Those pedals in the above post seem very cheap. When I say I don't require expensive, I mean I don't need flash pedals but I do need them strong enough for my 17 stone (when standing). Will these hold the weight?
2) Yes I believe the bike comes 90% assembled and from Merlins too, but I was wondering if I need to allign things once I receive the bike (i.e. brakes disc, etc..) or should it be good to go once the handle bars are on?
It will handle 17 stone just fine. The pedals will also handle it fine.

It should be good to go when the bars are attached, but it's prudent to check everything is as it should be.

OP
OP
D

dac

"Does the frame come with threaded eyelets for fixing rack and mudguards?"
I'm not sure if it does. I haven't got the bike yet but from looking at the picture (close-up) I can only see protruding spots for to hold a water bottle cage and a D-lock. To be honest, it would be nice if it could take a fixing rack and mudguards - surely a bike of this spec would cater for such a thing??

I'm about to pull a trigger on this lock so if anything a reason why not to trust it then please speak now. I'm not actually sure this D-lock uses those protruding things as it has it's own bracket.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a budget lock, I wouldn't trust it in a high risk area...like Cambridge which has very high theft rates. The best locks are around £60+ but even those aren't theft proof if someone is determined and has the right tools. Mini locks can also be a pita depending on the frame of the bike and what you are locking to, ok with slim Sheffield stands, but a fatter one, a lamppost or a tree may not be usable

Make sure you insure the bike, home insurance usually the most cost effective but factor in excesses etc

Lock brackets don't use bottle cage bosses, they have their own bracket to attach to the frame, where the bottle might usually sick

Top Bottom