Any spoon carvers/wood carvers, turners here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I recently discovered this young Chinese guy's channel and I have to say I don't know how he managed to learn so many skills in what can't be a very long life. XiaoXi does woodwork, metalwork, bamboo work, stonework, cooking and other things. Every video ends with him cooking something but he always makes some items first. (Also, as a bonus, the part of China he lives in is beautiful!) Please check his channel out.

Handlebar Moustache

I recently discovered this young Chinese guy's channel and I have to say I don't know how he managed to learn so many skills in what can't be a very long life. XiaoXi does woodwork, metalwork, bamboo work, stonework, cooking and other things. Every video ends with him cooking something but he always makes some items first. (Also, as a bonus, the part of China he lives in is beautiful!) Please check his channel out.

Wow - he’s SO amazing. The only thing we share is that we both have a Shinto saw rasp lol.

SafetyThird

I'm a very novice spoon carver. I went on one of Robin Wood's spoon carving courses but then did very little carving for a while due to the usual work and life things. I've carved half a dozen spoons now and this is the first one that I think looks reasonable. It was supposed to be a pocket eating spoon, to keep in my bag to use if I pick up something to eat when I'm out and don't have to use disposable cutlery. However, it developed a split along the grain of the bowl so it became a smaller, tea-spoon, sized spoon. It's from a piece of cherry that had come down in our little patch of woodland that I'm slowly returning from overgrown and unmanaged mess to a coppice rotation.

IMG_7149.jpeg

IMG_7150.jpeg

Handlebar Moustache

I'm a very novice spoon carver. I went on one of Robin Wood's spoon carving courses but then did very little carving for a while due to the usual work and life things. I've carved half a dozen spoons now and this is the first one that I think looks reasonable. It was supposed to be a pocket eating spoon, to keep in my bag to use if I pick up something to eat when I'm out and don't have to use disposable cutlery. However, it developed a split along the grain of the bowl so it became a smaller, tea-spoon, sized spoon. It's from a piece of cherry that had come down in our little patch of woodland that I'm slowly returning from overgrown and unmanaged mess to a coppice rotation.

View attachment 527239

View attachment 527240

Nice - particularly like the cross-section 👍 Cherry is my favourite wood to carve. It’s not too hard, but hardens well. It goes to a lovely rich dark shade over time. It has some nice grain. It’s all good.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
View attachment 526354
Got my wood bundle from a sawmill and ready to go. It is mostly oak
I have made signs and burn the letteting in, keyrings for hotels, acorn keyrings, cord pulls, napkin rings, bottle stoppets, balls fairground stalls, wedges for doors and wobbly tables etc. It would be ideal for spoon making. I think sycamore is the perfect spoon wood and can get really fine detail on it. If you go to a sawmill or joinery firm they will do you a bundle of odds and ends for a good price.
There are various places around the uk that does salvaged and teclaimed wood. I have tescued bits from the council tip such ad oak and beech ftom broken furnitute or floor boards

Handlebar Moustache

I have made signs and burn the letteting in, keyrings for hotels, acorn keyrings, cord pulls, napkin rings, bottle stoppets, balls fairground stalls, wedges for doors and wobbly tables etc. It would be ideal for spoon making. I think sycamore is the perfect spoon wood and can get really fine detail on it. If you go to a sawmill or joinery firm they will do you a bundle of odds and ends for a good price.
There are various places around the uk that does salvaged and teclaimed wood. I have tescued bits from the council tip such ad oak and beech ftom broken furnitute or floor boards

that’s interesting - I’m less keen on sycamore than say cherry because when you whittle it ‘snaps’ off rather than curls off - you know what I mean? It is easy generally though to carve.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I just found a pic of the woodpecker carving that I gave to my sister.

img054.jpg

More of a stylised impression than a realistic carving. As I said I was very new to woodcarving! :blush:

Top Bottom