Any spoon carvers/wood carvers, turners here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Hill Wimp of this parish is currently 'turning' her hand to spoon carving and is currently whittling away like mad at her first spoon. She keeps mentioning lathes and future workshops which is a tad worrying....

Anyhow, on the advice of Charlotte Barnes of yacf ( who once delivered a masterclass on spoon carving that I attended) I bought Wimpers some kit for her Birthday.

IMG_9283.JPG

And now she happy as larry when I've got wood and she can get to work on it....

IMG_9421.JPG

Anyone else out there?

Drago

Legendary Member
My Father in law is into turning, and I've had an afternoons play under his tutelage. Made a handle for the bathroom light switch, and a hammer handle.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Don't have any fancy kit and I'm not very good, but I dry the wood from my garden and hack away at it.
View attachment 366429
This is a walking stick from the apple tree on the right.
View attachment 366430
This is a "nut in a cage" thing carved from one solid piece of waste pine.
Fab!
Any tips or learnings?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
That knife is quite interesting. If she needs another, let me know and I'll have a go at one. Hidden tang is something I want to have a go at once I have completed the pair of bushcraft knives I have started. That one looks quite Scandinavian.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Green woodworker here - tend to spend the winter making this stuff: swill baskets; splint baskets; spoons; chairs; rustic indoor gear.
I'll be at Staithes Arts Festival on 8-9 Sept, which is always a good weekend. And I run courses in a private woodland in North Yorkshire from time to time.
Where can I find details of your courses?

I'm very much a crafter and have a carpenter for a father so grew up to the sound of him sharpening his saws and helping him in his workshop. He has taught me a lot about furniture restoration which I love doing but never get enough time. Now with retirement looming I cannot wait to spend more time creatively so I thought I would start with some Greenwood skills. I have say here most of today happily whittling away getting used to the feel of the wild and my tools. Currently working on a piece of beech.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
That knife is quite interesting. If she needs another, let me know and I'll have a go at one. Hidden tang is something I want to have a go at once I have completed the pair of bushcraft knives I have started. That one looks quite Scandinavian.
It's a rather beautiful Mora from Sweden.
20170806_165140.jpg

Fabbers got my kit from Robin Wood.

http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

as advised by Charlotte on YACF.

Top Bottom