Any spoon carvers/wood carvers, turners here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD used to do wood carving. Birds mainly. He hasn't done it for a couple of years though. He now concentrates on drawing. The photo is a bit dark i know, but this is a little wren he carved about 6 years ago. Screenshot_2017-08-06-20-13-38.png

welsh dragon

That's lovely. Mrs Manatee loves wrens, (there's a very bossy one on the allotment) and she has rather fallen for that one.

Thank you. Indeed, for such tiny birds, they have a lot of attitude. We have a few here. They sit outside the kitchen window. Quite fiesty they are.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Word of warning, being crap at woodcarving can seriously alter your index finger print.
Try a 28tooth 10" tablesaw blade going 1500rpm...
1502053433189-1144499257.jpg
Or...
A quarter inch rebate bit in a router going 20000 rpm.
1502053614874-836389085.jpg

Lots of blood on both counts but I really do miss my amateur wood working.
Anyone who says it's a waste of time obviously hasn't watched as a lump of wood slowly turns into a work of art even if not finished to perfection.

welsh dragon

Spending a minute or so reading this thread.
Sorry but some of these are just not very good and thats putting it politely.Its given me a laugh anyway.

It really is not about being good or not. It's a case of doing something that you enjoy, and as long as that is the case, then nothing else matters. People are having a go, rather than doing nothing or making fun of others.

DanZac

Sorry but some of these are just not very good and thats putting it politely.Its given me a laugh anyway.

Possibly one of the rudest yet sadest things i've seen written here yet.
If you can't take the time to see the beauty in something that someones taken the time and effort to make then I pity you (even if it's not to your taste or you could do better).

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You really are the saddest of cases.

I know, why not start your own thrilling thread about something to raise the whole joyousness of CC, eh?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
There are glove that you can buy. You wear it on just one hand. It has threads of kevlar running through it to prevent the carving tools from cutting your skin and they arn't badly priced either @Hill Wimp
Thank you. I got a bit enthusiastic with the curved soon used to carve out the bowl of the spoon. I really need to have a proper lesson.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Whats the point of messing around carving chuffing spoons?, I though my life was innane but this takes the biscuit.
MY father spent most of his retirement carving and turning, a bit obsessively it has to be said. His design was original if not brilliant but his craftmanship was incredible. Items he made are a living memory of him for me and my siblings - I just found a piece he made for my mother-in-law the other day when I was helping clear her place. He enjoyed his retirement and we got something we value. What's wrong with that?

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Incidentally my Dad died of Lung Cancer despite stopping smoking decades earlier.I suspect sawdust and varnish etc. caused it. My son-in-law runs a joinery business and follows very rigid standards to avoid lung damage. Perhaps a warning to anyone taking the hobby up seriously?

Top Bottom