Any spoon carvers/wood carvers, turners here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Various hand carved spoons and ladles. Birch my favourite to work with and elder is an easy one. Also an Algonquin and a Voyageur canoe paddle from black walnut.

For baby presents for my daughters (now 15 and 8) I made egg cups from apple wood. Apple has strong associations with love. One is now veggie and the other doesn't like eggs. I'm not the best dad, but I do try :wub:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Various hand carved spoons and ladles. Birch my favourite to work with and elder is an easy one. Also an Algonquin and a Voyageur canoe paddle from black walnut.

For baby presents for my daughters (now 15 and 8) I made egg cups from apple wood. Apple has strong associations with love. One is now veggie and the other doesn't like eggs. I'm not the best dad, but I do try :wub:

To me, connections like that add to the object. When I made my wife the Celtic cross I deliberately chose oak.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
To me, connections like that add to the object. When I made my wife the Celtic cross I deliberately chose oak.

Absolutely. My youngest has a porridge ladle made from birch which symbolises new beginnings. And as you probably know the 1st in the Celtic Tree Ogham.

I once sent my biological mother a pedant made from elder. The 10th Ogham. Connotations of wisdom, the feminine and regeneration. And as some have said, what the chuff was the point of that? I agree in this case. Rant over. No baggage me.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Have you see the wood carver that sits on the roundabout at the A418 in to Thame sort of your neck of the woods @Fab Foodie if your out on your travels. He does some pretty impressive stuff.

IMG_0249.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I do a bit for work and fun . I bought myself the legacy ornamental mill a few years ago that takes turning to another level .
Scroll saws are also alot of fun .
If you are looking at getting a lathe then go for one that runs on twin rails . The single rail machines are hard work and mine always seem to jam up .
I'll see if i can find some pictures of my whittlings . Although i think most of them are on photobucket :sad:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I don't have the time for another hobby, but when I retire I fancy getting a small lathe and having a go at bowl turning.
My dad did a fair bit when he was a bit younger. Made loads to sell for funds for a local hospital. Think he was letting them go for between £10 and £30 depending on size and type of wood. I'm sure shops would charge £50 upwards.

IMG_0040.JPG

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
BTW, if you can get cherry or plum to work with, I'd really recommend it. The colour and grain is amazing.

These runes are made with cherry wood btw.

View attachment 367089

Nice work. I made an amulet for every guest at my wedding from birch with it's relevant Ogham. I still wear mine despite the marriage being 'no longer'.

Nice work. I made an amulet for every guest at my wedding from birch with it's relevant Ogham. I still wear mine despite the marriage being 'no longer'.

Thank you :hugs:

I made this particular set for myself nine years ago and still use them. :smile: Those amulets sound really lovely - birch is really nice to work with, but can sometimes be a bit on the soft side. Have had a few "wibble" moments working with birchwood.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Top Bottom