Any spoon carvers/wood carvers, turners here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If I hadn't been such a tit in my youth I'd have loved to worked with wood in some serious way - joiner, cabinet maker, lumberjack...

As it is, I've done bits and pieces over the years semi-professionally, such as sash repairs, etc.
Some of the previous posters' efforts look seriously impressive.

Now I make rudimentary toys for my grandchildren, such as this helicopter. I could do better, in my defence, but time constraints of their impatience mean it's a rush job!

20170808_081128.jpg

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If I hadn't been such a tit in my youth I'd have loved to worked with wood in some serious way - joiner, cabinet maker, lumberjack...

As it is, I've done bits and pieces over the years semi-professionally, such as sash repairs, etc.
Some of the previous posters' efforts look seriously impressive.

Now I make rudimentary toys for my grandchildren, such as this helicopter. I could do better, in my defence, but time constraints of their impatience mean it's a rush job!

View attachment 367139
Rich P posts a picture of his chopper, again!
The man has no shame.

Ganymede

Veteran
I'm fond of woodcraft (as you can see from my avatar - though that was made into a table by someone much more skilled than I!). I did bodging and made myself a shaving horse and my own lathe. Made chairs, stools, a shelf unit, candlesticks among other stuff. I might take it up again some time - I have loads of wood. I had some lovely straight grained ash two winters ago but couldn't use it as I had my shoulder problems. I might try some carving instead.

Hill Wimp, it is addictive and I'm glad you've got such a fab hobby.

Edit - oh and I've done hurdle making and other stuff too - all good fun but tough on the hands!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I'm fond of woodcraft (as you can see from my avatar - though that was made into a table by someone much more skilled than I!). I did bodging and made myself a shaving horse and my own lathe. Made chairs, stools, a shelf unit, candlesticks among other stuff. I might take it up again some time - I have loads of wood. I had some lovely straight grained ash two winters ago but couldn't use it as I had my shoulder problems. I might try some carving instead.

Hill Wimp, it is addictive and I'm glad you've got such a fab hobby.

Edit - oh and I've done hurdle making and other stuff too - all good fun but tough on the hands!
Making hurdles is something else I would like to do along with willow weaving, making a Trug and then moving on to turning.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
@Hill Wimp you might find one of the day or weekend courses informative, interesting and confidence boosting. I spent a day in some woods with others, learning to make fan birds. The range of experience and skills of those attending my course was very wide but those running it made sure everyone was treated equally and had fun even when mistakes were made.

Hill Wimp

@Hill Wimp you might find one of the day or weekend courses informative, interesting and confidence boosting. I spent a day in some woods with others, learning to make fan birds. The range of experience and skills of those attending my course was very wide but those running it made sure everyone was treated equally and had fun even when mistakes were made.
@Fab Foodie and I are going to do a day course with a local Greenwood worker in her woodland. I think that could be the first of several woodworking courses we do.

Hill Wimp

[QUOTE 4912756, member: 76"]I've been thinking about all this. @Fab Foodie you have bought @Hill Wimp two sharp knives, an axe and a guide to (with a bit of up-scaling) making shovels.

Can I suggest you don't pi55 her off too much in the future?[/QUOTE]
:biggrin:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
@Hill Wimp @woodenspoons
Do you use one of those hook knives to hollow the bowl part of the spoon? I'm about to make some working (rough) carving/whittling knives and thought I would have a go at a hook knife as well. I'm after some dimensions and edge geometry information.

Thanks.

Top Bottom