Any success glue-repairing tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I tried superglue/gorilla glue and thought it was working but just inspected and it has now come out of all the nicks I thought I had filled with it!

Is there a more flexible glue that works better, or even some fine filler material that can be glued in the gaps?

Edit - or will I have more luck renforcing the tyre from the inside with a patch of some kind?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not in my experience, just live with the nicks. They rarely cause problems.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have used super glue in the past and not had a problem usually on very small nicks Perhaps width or depth my influence how the choice of sealant performs

When I rode tubulars I used a product called tread stop .I am going back several years .Dont know if it is still available.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
I have used super glue in the past and not had a problem usually on very small nicks Perhaps width or depth my influence how the choice of sealant performs

When I rode tubulars I used a product called tread stop .I am going back several years .Dont know if it is still available.

Yup, tread stop made by Bikit, not seen any for 40 years lol

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Just carry on riding, as long as the threads in the carcass are intact.

It's been fine for a while but I just got a puncture in the exact same place as one in January, originally caused by a piece of glass. The damage to the carcass is only very small so I might try a small tyre patch to see how it goes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
So did I. It lasted about two miles before it came out.

The type of nicks that people use adhesives for are so small they are never a problem anyway.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm - let me see if I can find an old post of mine... Here you go!

My tip is - don't superglue significant tyre cuts!

I used superglue when I discovered a cut in my new front tyre just before taking my bike to Spain. I rode the bike for a few days - no problem. Did the big mountain day, including 50 mph descents round tight bends with no barriers and big drop offs from them - no problem. Next morning, before we set off on the day's ride someone pointed at my front wheel. The tyre cut had ripped open and the inner tube was bulging through the hole! (Ex top pro [then known as] Robert Millar was at the hotel testing bikes and he lent me a front wheel until I could get hold of a new tyre! :becool:)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
In my experience Superglue is too hard and brittle for tyre repairs (although plenty argue otherwise!)
On the occasions where I have found a cut small enough to be safe to repair and large enough to bother repairing I use a wet suit glue called Stormsure. It needs a minimum of 24 hours to cure, ideally 48 hours in colder environments, but is very effective. There are cheaper wet suit glues that probably work just as well, but I haven't tried them.

Top Bottom