Any success glue-repairing tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You'll know the carcass has been damaged because the tyre will begin to bulge in the directions of the cut threads. Time for the bin, in that case.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
On the occasions where I have found a cut small enough to be safe to repair and large enough to bother repairing I use a wet suit glue called Stormsure. It needs a minimum of 24 hours to cure, ideally 48 hours in colder environments, but is very effective. There are cheaper wet suit glues that probably work just as well, but I haven't tried them.

Thanks, have ordered some and will try it out. Structurally the tyre looks fine, it just needs something in the gap to stop other bits of sharp stuff from getting too close to the tube. I might even try to stick a sliver of tyre in there too to pack it out.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Thanks, have ordered some and will try it out. Structurally the tyre looks fine, it just needs something in the gap to stop other bits of sharp stuff from getting too close to the tube. I might even try to stick a sliver of tyre in there too to pack it out.
I work on the basis that if divers trust it, cyclists probably can as well. Once you have opened a tube, the remaining contents tend to set quite quickly but this can be reduced to som extent if you expel all the air from it and store it in the freezer.

dodgy

I assume we're talking about the 'flexible' super glu they call gel? That's the only stuff I would use to fill nicks in a tyre, not the conventional stuff that sets up hard and could actually be driven further into the tyre if you hit a stone in just the right place.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Tried filling it with Stormsure, was more flexible than I thought it would be, another puncture in the same place so binning the tyre. Not as impressed with the Michelin Pro4 Endurance as I'd have liked to have been. :-/

silva

Über Member
I use an adhesive used in building construction for rubber sealing (that's how I learnt its existence and found some (in a crap brown color but ohwell its not visible haha) on a flea market.
It need days to cure though. Now and then I fill the carves in a tyre with it, I blow up the tyre to its normal pressure, insert the adhesive with a needle, then I let some air escape, wipe off the adhesive that is pushed out and leave the wheel alone for the cure time. The shrink due to the pressure drop presses the adhesive deeper into the carves, causing a bigger surface joint and thus stronger.
It's some work though and since I bought tyres in quantity from a German big store at half the local dealer price, the cost that the job saved is not that worthy anymore so it's now awhile ago I did it.

gbb

Legendary Member
I use Emery tape with quite good results. It's got a very tough cloth backing and I've used it to cover 2 or 3mm holes in tyres to stop the inner tube forcing it's way out the existing hole. It lasts for a couple months or so then just replace it and away you go again. Done many thousands of miles on a damaged tyre that way.

Top Bottom