Any techy gurus out there? Windows media player problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm running W10. I upgraded from W7 via the free Microsoft upgrade offer.
In W7 media player worked just fine.
Now I'm on W10 media player doesn't work at all.
I've searched through the interweb, and the Microsoft help pages and the only way to get Windows media player on W10 seems to be by having to buy the feature. Something like £15. I don't use it a lot, but like to know that when I need it it is there.
So, can any of you techy guys help me? I'm not the greatest at tech speak, but can usually follow clear instructions.
Can I get media player to work without having to pay to Bill Gates for a feature that I had, but that has now been taken from me.

figbat

Slippery scientist

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran

Thanks. I've downloaded that. No problems. But it is playing back in a wierd manner, but that dould be the DVD, which was only 95p from Wiggle!
Do you want it for playing DVDs?
Yes. Playing DVDs. Not neccessarily to sit and watch movies or anything long term, but more usually dropping in and out of either DVDs that I've been sent or CDs that have stuff on to look at.
I won't be sat here for 2 hours watching Blu Ray or anything like that.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thanks. I've downloaded that. No problems. But it is playing back in a wierd manner, but that dould be the DVD, which was only 95p from Wiggle!

Yes. Playing DVDs. Not neccessarily to sit and watch movies or anything long term, but more usually dropping in and out of either DVDs that I've been sent or CDs that have stuff on to look at.

My version of VLC is a bit weird on Windows 10 too but I only have the one DVD - a Pilates one - so it's not really a problem.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
The DVD I was trying was Real Rides with Robbie Ventura (Who?) A cheap training disc bought for no logical reason. No surprise it's a bit clunky.

I swapped it for Bruce Springsteen's Seeger Sessions DVD and that seems to be playing fine.
Mrs Mcgrath the sergeant said,
Would you like a soldier of your son Ted....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah... I don't have an optical drive on the new machine so I can't test that.

I've got a cheapo (but very good) Blu Ray player on the TV so I use that on the rare occasions that I want to play disks. I watched the boxed sets of The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire that way but TBH, I stream nearly everything these days.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Windows 10 is crap, I 'upgraded' when it came out and reverted to 7 but now this computer is slowly dying. I don't know why but it seems 'Microsoft' are slowly filling the memory up with 'updates' despite saying there is no support anymore.

Oh for the ease of XP.

Sharky

Guru
I'm running W10. I upgraded from W7 via the free Microsoft upgrade offer.
In W7 media player worked just fine.
Now I'm on W10 media player doesn't work at all.
I've searched through the interweb, and the Microsoft help pages and the only way to get Windows media player on W10 seems to be by having to buy the feature. Something like £15. I don't use it a lot, but like to know that when I need it it is there.
So, can any of you techy guys help me? I'm not the greatest at tech speak, but can usually follow clear instructions.
Can I get media player to work without having to pay to Bill Gates for a feature that I had, but that has now been taken from me.
I asked the very same question a couple of years ago.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/w10-dvd-player.243702/#post-5480466
I loaded VLC and only used it a couple of times, but it worked fine.

Top Bottom