Any Theologians out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not sure it's strictly theology, but I once read a comment, it could have even been on here, where someone said that if the human brain was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it.

Take organised western religion out of the equation, and I think that's a reasonable view of the God question.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Yes, I realised as I wrote that how narrow my theological conversations have been. On reflection I feel comfortable gently challenging someone from a similar religious background, and how cautious I have been with religious people from other backgrounds. Hmmm.
It's OK, so long as you remember that all religious belief systems are basically assertions made without evidence.
That's the common ground.

The violence demonstrates the weaknesses in their arguments? Recently I have been far more impressed (but not convinced) by a Buddhist person's ability to listen and gently respond than by any dogmatic know-it-all.

Many of the eastern philosophies share a common ground, and are about peace, harmony and understanding. I've met many from different denominations, and they have not been remotely interested in trying to convert or condemn.

At one question and answer session, one of the speakers (possibly a Hindu) was asked a question relating to the number of deities etc, and some inconsistencies in elements of it. I guess it's a bit like 'the lord moves in mysterious ways' but the response was much deeper than that, but could be summarised with 'I have no idea, there are many things that are just too complex for us to understand, and it could even be wrong. But where is the harm in being calm and peaceful until such a time as we maybe find out?'

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
........ 'I have no idea, there are many things that are just too complex for us to understand, and it could even be wrong. But where is the harm in being calm and peaceful until such a time as we maybe find out?'
The harm is that the angry and violent eejits, who assert that only they have the truth, will probably kill you for your belief.

All uphill

Still rolling along
The harm is that the angry and violent eejits, who assert that only they have the truth, will probably kill you for your belief.
Or lack of...

I worked in the south of Iran a long time ago and found tolerance for, and interest in my assumed Christian beliefs.

Only once did I try to explain my atheism, with extreme results; absolute horror, fear and loathing seemed to sum it up.

Or lack of...

I worked in the south of Iran a long time ago and found tolerance for, and interest in my assumed Christian beliefs.

Only once did I try to explain my atheism, with extreme results; absolute horror, fear and loathing seemed to sum it up.

I really don't like labels, as different people assign different values to them, and argue with what they perceive as your ideology, and often use their own ideology as an argument. In that situation, there's no point in either person even being there as the individual views become swamped.

If pushed, I tend to define myself as a heathen, which confuses the hell out of most people. My view is that everyone is perfectly free to ascribe whatever religion (or lack of) that they choose. It makes no difference to me, as I judge on their actions, not their ideology.

If I've any fundamentalism in me, it's that I fundamentally believe in individual responsibility working for a common good.

classic33

Leg End Member
I really don't like labels, as different people assign different values to them, and argue with what they perceive as your ideology, and often use their own ideology as an argument. In that situation, there's no point in either person even being there as the individual views become swamped.

If pushed, I tend to define myself as a heathen, which confuses the hell out of most people. My view is that everyone is perfectly free to ascribe whatever religion (or lack of) that they choose. It makes no difference to me, as I judge on their actions, not their ideology.

If I've any fundamentalism in me, it's that I fundamentally believe in individual responsibility working for a common good.
I've used druid more than once.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've used druid more than once.
And I have. :cheers:

RichardB

Slightly retro

" The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

WB Yeats, The Second Coming.

Top Bottom