Any Theologians out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Where does the devil keep all those souls that have been sold, and claimed. Does he have room for many more?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Years ago I had to deliver a public talk on the subject "what is the soul" to 200 christians. It had to be based on scripture (as christians obviously have the only true opinion :rolleyes:).
So, having read a few verses that indicate we do not have separate souls but are actually the soul I summed up by stating
"So, its not 'we have souls'.... its 'we are-souls'. (you have to say that out loud).
I immediately realised what I had said .
A guy in the 2nd row just collapsed laughing and had to leave the hall.
A moment I will never forget.

I read a biography if Satan. He started out as something far more prosaic than the prince of darkness. In the old testament he was basically the lawyer for the opposing side in matters of war, morality and other high matters and a messanger of bad news. It was a rank or duty rather than a supernatural person.
It was the Persians who made Satan into a supernatural evil being but Christians promoted him to The supernatural evil being.

I've never really got my head round the logic behind the threat of sin being eternal damnation to hell.

As they've never written a book themselves, the only things we now about old nick is what the bible says, and they not going to be exactly unbiased are they?

Now, if Nick's all that claimed, surely they'd love a sinner that had wreaked havoc on the world? Why would they punish you for doing that?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
If it were actually possible to sell your soul to the Devil, then that raises all sorts of awkward philosophical questions.
If God created everything, as Christian theologians like to claim, then he must have also created the Devil.
If, as they also claim, God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent then, logically, God is ultimately responsible for all the evil in the world.

As Epicurus put it -
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Man created god in his own image.

As Epicurus put it -
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Bright spark that epicurus - his words are of course more relevant with the current blight than they ever were.
From what I can see all the religious leaders appear too preoccupied with other stuff (what? - fermenting bigger and bigger batches of communion wine?) to actually address this central question.

My favourite question to the priests, vicars and rectors I have met is:

" You tell me lots about where you believe we go after our corporeal death, what I would like to know is where were we before our conception?"

Never yet had anyone give a clear answer.

That's because you've only asked those following Abrahimic beliefs. Eastern philosophies cover that and more. They'd talk your ears off with the answers.

I was in the company of a Buddhist monk, who was explaining that all life is sacred, and should be protected. I asked, if I saw a starving Lion attacking a wildebeest, should I scare the Lion off to starve to death and protect the wildebeest? He said he's ask his boss and get back to me.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
That's because you've only asked those following Abrahimic beliefs. Eastern philosophies cover that and more.
Yes, I realised as I wrote that how narrow my theological conversations have been. On reflection I feel comfortable gently challenging someone from a similar religious background, and how cautious I have been with religious people from other backgrounds. Hmmm.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom