any thoughts on a new tattoo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Where's your Pat? :whistle:

:laugh: No tattoo for me, Smokey, BigCat would not approve!

ayceejay

Guru
Tattoos are a very personal and permanent way to show off who you think you are. My dad had loads and his said "sailor" , in fact he was a Royal Marine but the story is the same: go ashore, get drunk, get a tat, get laid although the order might vary.
A delicate duck or three in a hidden place might delight a lover but across your forehead your lovers mother may not be impressed.
All this to say that one should be cautious because the last thing you want your geisha/samurai/manga body art to say is "I am an a88hole".

Tattoos are a very personal and permanent way to show off who you think you are. My dad had loads and his said "sailor" , in fact he was a Royal Marine but the story is the same: go ashore, get drunk, get a tat, get laid although the order might vary.
Hey! I'm a sailor. Been to lots of ports around the world. Got drunk. Then got very drunk. Got laid (must ensure Mrs Pm does not read this). Got extremely drunk.
Still not got a tattoo. I may be missing out here. (though trying out a temporary bicycle on the ankle at the moment that may well be turned into a permanent one)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
OK, Comment: if you must get a tattoo don't get a big one that will take up half off your back, get a smaller one, in a hidden place.

Nooooooo!!!! If you're going to get one, get it big!
A small one hidden away just means you're not sure about the decision and, if you're not sure, then don't do it!

There is no problem with causing offence with Samurai type tattoos, at least not in Europe, lots and lots of people have them. You may wish to research further though if you are planning on spending a lot of time in Japan.

Hopefully Ianruk will see this and chip in, he's a big fan of Japanese art.

Doseone

Guru
I did hear a story (hopefully apocryphal!) of someone who got drunk at a party and decided they wanted a tattoo, so they got their drunk mate to do it for them with a compass and a bottle of Quink, and then had to spend the rest of their life with "Evlis" tattooed on their arm:rolleyes:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
....which they kept in a jar filled with formalin.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nooooooo!!!! If you're going to get one, get it big!
A small one hidden away just means you're not sure about the decision and, if you're not sure, then don't do it!

There is no problem with causing offence with Samurai type tattoos, at least not in Europe, lots and lots of people have them. You may wish to research further though if you are planning on spending a lot of time in Japan.

Hopefully Ianruk will see this and chip in, he's a big fan of Japanese art.

Attitudes have changed a lot in Japan over the past few years in regards to acceptance of Tattoos. It has been said that Yakuza now do not get tattooed as (obviously) a tattooed person is easier to identify then a non one.

It's mainly the older generation in Japan that still frown upon tattoos due to the Yakuza, Mafia & crime, as it was these people that usually had tattoos rather then the normal populace The younger generation especially do understand that westerners see tattooing more as a form of art rather then a mark of gang/crime culture. So are more likely to ignore. In fact tattooing has become more acceptable in Japan because of the western attitude, helped by tourism, music & film stars having tattooed. Programmes like Miami Ink are also shown on mainstreamTV.

In Tokyo and the larger metropolis I don't think that anyone would batter an eye lid at a westerner with tattoos. Though if you are looking at visiting a traditional bath house or restaurant then one may be 'politely' refused entry.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just make sure that anything written says what you think it says.

3996593_f520.jpg

Now that's tragic...

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I fancied a full sleeve tattoo once so drew it on using a black marker pen to see if I I could get used to having an inked arm. I woke up the next day and the ink had come off destroying out only set of bed sheets and my wife's PJs. I decided (with contributions to the decision from my wife) not to get a full sleeve tattoo.

Top Bottom