Any thoughts on the new Ribble range, September 2018?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/the-new-range/

I've been eyeing up bikes since early last year, and I'm now within weeks of being able to get one. A couple of these new bikes from Ribble are in the frame, particularly the alloy and steel CGR models. I'm not really thinking about carbon, but the C bikes here are handsome beasts too.

They're at the NEC bike show this weekend if anybody is going.

Has anybody else here been casting an acquisitive eye at the new bikes, and am I right in thinking that Ribble bikes are often a good option?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It’s certainly very easy to spend a few hours on their ‘bike builder’!

^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
I've not been impressed with past models, which were rather flexi for this particular powerful, and heavy rider. Maybe they've remedied this, but I certainly wouldn't buy without riding any bike, and was especially glad I was able to borrow one for an afternoon and save myself some pain.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Another CC member, who knows of my great love of e-bikes, sent me a link to the latest Ribble e-roadie offering, a stonking bargain from "only" £2999. When I read the blurb about the kind of rider the e-bike was aimed at, it specifically mentions KOM chasers, and boasts that the assistance available can boost performance to the level of an elite rider. So there it is in black & white; if you want to CHEAT on Strava and claim a KOM you didn't actually achieve through your own efforts, all you need to do is go out and buy one of Ribbles e-roadies and let the assistance artificially boost your performance! Tough luck on all the honest riders who don't use an e-bike, and will now be competing against a battery pack as well as another rider.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps the likes of Stavros, Endomondo, Garmin etc should run leagues for assisted bike riders to compete in, although that's a discussion for another thread.

gbb

Legendary Member
Another CC member, who knows of my great love of e-bikes, sent me a link to the latest Ribble e-roadie offering, a stonking bargain from "only" £2999. When I read the blurb about the kind of rider the e-bike was aimed at, it specifically mentions KOM chasers, and boasts that the assistance available can boost performance to the level of an elite rider. So there it is in black & white; if you want to CHEAT on Strava and claim a KOM you didn't actually achieve through your own efforts, all you need to do is go out and buy one of Ribbles e-roadies and let the assistance artificially boost your performance! Tough luck on all the honest riders who don't use an e-bike, and will now be competing against a battery pack as well as another rider.
As an ebike rider myself (as well as a Ribble carbon road bike owner) I thought that advertising blurb was very unfortunate and poorly thought out...very disappointing.

gbb

Legendary Member
If the build and material quality is still the same as my now circa 6 year old Ribble New Sportive Racing...then they're great for the money.
When I brought it I was considering a Bianchi Impulso, alloy frame with a mix of FSA and Campag modest range component, a great looking bike I really fancied...but for a bit less money I got a Ribble carbon frame, carbon bars and seat post, full Veloce transmission.
Some of those new offerings look great, I'm really liking some of them.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
CHEAT on strava........hahahahahahahahaha

How much money can i earn doing that??? And who would i be cheating by doing it????
Absolutley no one

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Buying an e-bike to take KOMs? Surely not. Next you'll be telling me no-one's ever used a motor vehicle....

The only times anyone should really pay attention to on Strava are their own.

Good morning,

The Endurance 725 gets my vote at first glance.

Looking further the blurb says " Mudguard and rack compatibility – For all weather riding and luggage carrying" but I can't see any eyes on the seat stays or around the rear drop out.

.... but it has a carbon front forks.

I know that they did the same with the current/old 525 frame but I am not sure who the frame is marketed at without a steel/carbon fork option.

I get the impression that Ribble are trying to move away from a shop and become a brand.

Trying the Bike Builder for the Endurance, I see that they have changed it to something really flashy, I then noticed that the prices goes up by £600 when upgrading from the starting config of Tiagra to 105, yet the general screen has a £300 increase!!!

Spa Cycles do a 725 frame and forks for about £360 which makes the Urban 725 Single Speed a bargain, but the front fork is "7. Straight blade Cro-moly fork for steering precision"

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom